THE MARS VOLTA ITALIA forum: "In Thirteen Seconds"

Isaiah "Ikey" Owens

« Older   Newer »
Walkabout
CAT_IMG Posted on 19/5/2006, 22:09

Topic generale per raccogliere informazioni sul tastierista dei Mars Volta.
Qui di seguito alcune citazioni e commenti su alcuni suoi gruppi preferiti, fonte http://www.thecomatorium.com/board/index.php?showtopic=20371

CITAZIONE
IKEY

-Peepshot
"Peepshot is the real deal—simple, heartfelt rock & roll, delivered without pretense and played by four men who can all handle their instruments..." - Ikey

-Mos Def
"Everything about this album [Black on Both Sides] is amazing. What other rapper has a song about the politics of water and its impact on world economics? Listening to Mos Def makes me very proud to be young, black and a part of the hip-hop nation. Every time the 40-year-old white guys in my office talk about all the stupid stuff they read in the news about Snoop and Puffy, I just want to lock them in a room and blast Black on Both Sides. Mos Def is the Gil Scott-Heron of our generation." - Ikey

Later, after Mos Def released his "New Danger" album, this is what Ikey had to say:
"I think all that stuff is well-intentioned, and I'm glad he's doing it, and I'm glad he's bringing attention to it, but it's not gonna' work...You can't just reclaim something if you don't really, really know about it. A lot of people who are into hip-hop have really rudimentary knowledge of rock music. In the dealings I've had with DJs and MCs, they know rock, but they don't know it know it. They know the big stuff-they know Hendrix, they know Zeppelin, they know some of The Beatles, but they don't know The Byrds or Can..."

-Tom Petty
[Talking about Petty's Echo album) "It’s funny how everyone is talking about the ’80s. All they think about from that era are A Flock of Seagulls and all those really bad one-hit wonders. But what about Tom Petty? His latest album is amazing. It’s full of floaty guitars and perfectly understated keyboards. I was spinning at a party in Eagle Rock a while back, and I slipped in a couple of Petty tracks from this album between UNKLE and Portishead, and it fit great. It’s so ambient, but it still rocks." - Ikey

-TV on the Radio
"The savior of black rock music right now is TV on the Radio. Do you want to know what black rock should be like? That's what black rock should sound like to me. They're the most amazing thing I've heard in a long time..." - Ikey

-The Brand New Heavies
[talking about his album "Black is the New Black"] "As far as the sound of it-there's this Brand New Heavies record called Heavy Rhyme Experiment...it sounds like hip-hop but it's raw and I basically set out to make a record like that, but sadder and dirtier sounding. It's not so clean..." - Ikey

Ikey, continued...

"...That's kind of what I'm after: my version of what I think soul music is. I'm a big fan of The Roots, and Erykah Badu and Jill Scott and all that stuff, but it gets a little boring. It's really clean production-wise. I wanted to make a record like that, but I wanted to make it weird. That stuff, you can listen to it, it's like, 'Okay. It's a nice song on the CD and I'm hearing Rhodes, upright bass and drums again.' They all sound like elevator music to me. So I wanted to make a record like that, but it has some balls, some guts and some feeling-that wasn't perfect."

halorama
CAT_IMG Posted on 30/5/2006, 00:00

ho trovato notizie sulla strumentazione usata da ikey e le posto qua.
so che esiste un topic "strumentazione", ma mi sembra più ordinato postare su ciascun componente.

CITAZIONE
Ikey Owens of Mars Volta on tour with Korg CX-3 Organ
Having built credence since opening for the Red Hot Chili Peppers in 2003, The Mars Volta is now selling out every show on their own U.S. tour. Bandmates Isaiah “Ikey” Owens, Omar Rodriguez-Lopez and Cedric Bixler-Zavala combine hardcore, progressive/psychedelic rock and free jazz to the delight of critics and crowds. Their new album, Frances the Mute, garnered a 4-star rating from Rolling Stone and scored #4 on the Billboard Top 200, selling more than 123,000 copies its first week.

Known for creating a warm atmosphere with his organ skills, Owens uses a Korg CX-3 Combo Organ on stage. He states, “Playing live, all of the band’s songs are pretty organ-heavy. The Korg CX-3 is kind of like the second guitar. Whenever there’s a heavy part, I’m playing the organ. A feature I especially like about the CX-3 compared to other organ modules is that I have the ability to switch the drawbar settings quickly. Once I set up my favorite sounds it’s like having another version of them immediately available.”

Owens plays with Free Moral Agents on the side and is also collaborating with artist/producer Danger Mouse. The Mars Volta have scheduled a Fall U.S. tour supporting System of a Down.

imageimage

jaccuse
CAT_IMG Posted on 31/5/2006, 11:07

Per completare il post aggiungo che molto probabilmente utilizza anche un Piano Rhodes

Rhodes suitcase piano

halorama
CAT_IMG Posted on 31/5/2006, 23:16

imagema QUANTO è bono ikey in questa foto? :D

jaccuse
CAT_IMG Posted on 1/6/2006, 12:51

un figurino..........

halorama
CAT_IMG Posted on 2/6/2006, 17:39

a quanto pare ikey nel lontano 1998 suonava in un gruppo chiamato "the long beach dub all stars stylee", il cui sito è ancora oggi questo

ahahahah. ma che suonava in canottiera?

(dal sito korg.com)

ikey dice:

CITAZIONE
“Playing live, all of the band’s songs are pretty organ-heavy. The Korg CX-3 is kind of like the second guitar. Whenever there’s a heavy part, I’m playing the organ. A feature I especially like about the CX-3 compared to other organ modules is that I have the ability to switch the drawbar settings quickly. Once I set up my favorite sounds it’s like having another version of them immediately available. For instance, on the song ‘Cygnus…’ I want a specific sound for the choruses that I don’t play normally. I have my drawbars set up so I can just switch over and get a much brighter tone than just leaving it by itself. For the rest of the song I use my main organ setting, which I love, but for that chorus I don’t have to switch to another sound and switch back – it’s ‘boom,’ I hit the drawbars and I’m right there.” If you want to hear Ikey scream on his CX-3, check out a live Mars Volta show and listen up for his CX3-laden riffs on “Roulette Dares (The Haunt Of)!” Wow!

(da ocweekly.com)

CITAZIONE
Touring with indie rock faves Mars Volta was a typical rock-star journey for Ikey Owens. There were rabid fans, criminally boring van trips and nights of keyboard banging with a band he loved. The crowd reactions were typical, too: "Who the hell is that black guy onstage?" "What’s he doing in a rock band?"

"Kids thought it was strange. People thought I was Mars Volta’s bodyguard," says the six-foot, 240-pound Owens. Rock fans weren’t the only ones hung-up about race. Many white musicians revealed their myopia in backhanded ways.

"They’d say what we were doing was just like the Beatles doing ‘Let It Be’ with Billy Preston," Owens remembers. Were these delusions of grandeur on the part of white musicians? Did these guys have no context of black musicians outside of Preston’s famed keyboard session work with the Beatles?

Maybe it was both, yet Owens never let the racist slips of the tongue or the dirty looks overwhelm him—it was all just part of the hazard of being Ikey Owens. To many, he has always been "the black guy" playing in a host of bands in Orange County and Long Beach, some as well-known as Sublime, Reel Big Fish and the Aquabats.

But Owens’ rock & roll career tells the bigger story of his 28-year-old life. He was one of the few black kids raised in largely white Lakewood. Friends and neighbors couldn’t figure out how a black kid liked "white" music like Tom Petty. They thought it odd that a black kid was enrolled in the gifted classes and not special ed. Then there were the often unintended but cruel asides from the mouths of supposedly liberal, open-minded people: the familiar "I don’t like black people, but I like you" was a frequent conversation stopper. And their sting lingered long after for Owens—petty prejudices and affronts that sliced like thousands of paper cuts until he felt as if he was bleeding.

"If you want to talk to some of the angriest black people, talk to one from the suburbs," says Owens. "You live among your enemies. If you open your eyes, you can see how much people hate you. You can’t win. If you have what they have, they’re jealous. You can’t figure out why they would dislike you because you’re supposed to be the ‘good example’ of your race.

"You have everything: you’re not committing crimes, you have high SAT scores, you’re going to college, your parents do well. And the bottom line is you still live next door to people who are, at their core, prejudiced. Directly or indirectly, they don’t want to live next to a lot of black people," says Owens.

Black people were just as narrow-minded. They’d shoot Owens the evil eye for having white friends, listening to "white" music, or dressing like a punk or a surfer.

To those who know him, Owens’ outspokenness may seem surprising because he never comes off as an angry firebrand, says his former manager, Vince Pileggi (who manages Reel Big Fish and a host of other bands). "He’s not the stereotype that people want him to be, playing in rock bands. I don’t ever recall having a political conversation with him. We talked about music, mostly. Politics? We probably laughed about Bill Clinton and Monica Lewinsky."

Owens’ aural acts have made him something of a rebel, but recently, he has delved into music that all those quick-to-pigeonhole people he ran up against in his youth would expect of him: hip-hop, with his new project Free Moral Agents. But this isn’t commercial-radio bling-bling hip-hop. Even Owens admits that branding it hip-hop is something of a stretch.

"I romantically like to call it hip-hop," Owens says. "It’s my version of lo-fi hip-hop and soul mixed with high school band sounds."

It’s an apt description. Free Moral Agents’ music consists of soulful, bluesy sounds floating from Owens’ Wurlitzer and Roland keyboards. They slip into a cocoon of every sound a Pro-Tools production can muster: flutes, hip-hop beats, stony distortions, plus the tongue of J (born Ernest Jarrett), Free Moral Agents’ other half. It’s music to scare bland hip-hoppers like P. Diddy to death.

That’s because Free Moral Agents are riding high on the cut-and-paste aesthetic of today’s electronic underground. The Agents’ sounds either crash into the feedback of a wild Sun Ra star storm, or they’ll stride gracefully on an Astor Piazzolla-like spectral tango, sometimes during the same song. The Agents’ music is played live; there are few samples.

Most of their songs follow a similar logic where one style will wipeout into a completely different type of music. A brass quartet, a Mad Lib-like tumble through cranky jazz keyboards and some somber orchestral arrangements all share the same sonic space on their unreleased full-length (their single "Laydown" is out on Long Beach-based Pete Records). Free Moral Agents are about chaos, beauty and keeping listeners guessing.

Like any interesting art, it almost didn’t happen. By 1999, Owens was sick of rock & roll. His band, Teen Heroes, got a video played on MTV, then he quit before typical Behind the Music tensions caused the band’s crash and burn. A middle-class life beckoned, so Owens took a job as an assistant bond trader in Huntington Beach and was talking marriage with his girlfriend. His parents loved it. He was feeling so satisfied with his choices that he rarely played his keyboards.

Then, in the space of two weeks, his girlfriend dumped him, and he got laid off. Reeling from that karmic double-whammy, his old life easily reclaimed him. The guys in Mars Volta’s dub project DeFacto invited him to play on their European tour. He jumped at the chance to take a vacation from his rapidly imploding world.

Despite freaking out audiences with his skin color and musical choices, he had a fantastic time in Europe and realized he had been ignoring his real goals—writing music and making his own album. So he cut back on school, quit working the nine-to-fives and stopped saying yes to the many bands offering him session work. He got a part-time job as a clerk at Fingerprints Records in Long Beach and began looking for like-minded co-conspirators.

One guy was J. Like Owens, J was a black guy who grew up in a white world (in his case, Riverside). He related to Owens’ experiences of not fitting in, but, like Owens, he also saw a lot of benefits.

"If I didn’t grow up where I did, I wouldn’t have heard so much good music," J says. "Stuff that was originally black, like ska, reggae and jazz. I learned it from white and Mexican kids who appreciated that music."

Owens and J say they’re already thinking of the next Free Moral Agents album. As far as any major-label action goes, though, the prospects are pretty grim.

"There are no black, non-hip-hop or R&B bands signed to major labels at present, outside of some jazz bands," says Darrell M. McNeill, director of operations for the Brooklyn-based Black Rock Coalition, a nonprofit supporting musicians of color in an often-unfriendly industry. "You have the Roots on MCA, but it’s widely known that they pretty much had to slug it out for years before they could build enough clout to get proper financial support. They still don’t command the same dollar value as, say, Limp Bizkit, Korn, Puddle of Mudd, Incubus, Weezer or whoever."

The absence of black faces in rock can make it tough to get a gig even in backing bands, says Owens. People who package tours hire musicians like casting directors hire actors. They’re searching for a specific look, and black skin often doesn’t fit.

"I was going on auditions for different things, and there were bands I couldn’t play in because I don’t fit the image. I’m a big black guy. It doesn’t look right if I was playing with a guy like (white guitarist) John Mayer. They want people to look like him."

So why do it? Why should a black man play rock & roll when he’s just going to get punched in the face? For Owens and J, the answer lies in reclaiming freedoms both artistic and personal.

"To be George Clinton, who just stopped doing Motown and picked up Marshall amps and guitars, meant he no longer had to prove anything to anyone. He was beyond everything else. That’s what my aspirations of a black artist are," Owens says. "It’s about becoming secure in your art and yourself, being able to do whatever you want."

Walkabout
CAT_IMG Posted on 8/7/2006, 18:43

Ikey è stato intervistato nella sezione "Music 101" del sito Buddyhead.com', nella quale stila una lista dei suoi album preferiti.

-Tom Petty - Full Moon Fever
"This record is a total pop masterpiece. It was produced by Jeff Lynn and done without Tom Petty's usual band, The Heartbreakers...Every song on this record is amazing and it's definitely a lesson in how to arrange rock music."

-Weezer - Pinkerton
"I get made fun of alot for loving this record. Pinkerton was made after River's [Cuomo] was done boozing and harassing little asian girls and before Rick Rubin transformend him into Alan Watts. I love this record because it chronicles all of his failings and regrets (maybe that's why he hates it) and is recorded super raw. All of the guitars are loud and sloppy, and the drums sound like they were ran into a big ass boom box and then put to tape. It's awesome."

-Sly and the Family Stone - Fresh
"This is my favorite record of all time. The songs on this record are amazing, and the playing is dirty and funky and black as night."

-Fishbone - Fishbone
"I was a ska kid and I'm not afraid to admit it, and one of the reasons why is this record. You can laugh about Save Ferris and Buck O' Nine all you want but this record will always be amazing. Black people's ska!"

-A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory
"This is simply the best hip-hop record ever. Before I heard this record, I didn't even like hip hop. Being the stuck up, boogee-ass black teenager that I was, I thought rap was too thuggish and had very little artistic merit until I heard this record. The sampling on here is weaved together so beautifully and the lyrics are amazing."

-Herbie Hancock - Dedication
"Greboy turned me onto this record. It's Herbie right after he left Miles' [Davis's] band and was totally in his prime. The whole record is Herbie and a room full of sequencers and ARPS. It's very minimalist but very musical."

-Mastodon - Leviathan
"This is the first metal album I've ever owned. I'm not sure why I like it, or what makes it so much different from all the metal albums I didn't buy. All I know is that I listen to it everyday."

-Sublime - 40 Oz. to Freedom

"I'm tired of defending this record. I'm from Long Beach!!!"

Walkabout
CAT_IMG Posted on 25/8/2006, 22:49

Ikey's views on current black or hip-hop oriented artists attempting to "reclaim" rock music...
From http://www.auralminority.com/freemoralagentsg.html

CITAZIONE
"You can't just reclaim something if you don't really, really know about it. A lot of people who are into hip-hop have a really rudimentary knowledge of rock music. In the dealings I've had with MCs and DJs, they know rock, but they don't know it. They know the big stuff--they know Hendrix, they know Zeppelin, they know some of The Beatles, but they don't know The Byrds or Can. The savior of black music right now is TV On The Radio. Do you want to know what black rock should sound like? That's what black rock should sound like, to me. They're the most amazing thing I've heard in a long time."

Massive
CAT_IMG Posted on 29/8/2006, 06:57

CITAZIONE (halorama @ 1/6/2006, 00:16)
(IMG:http://www.musicgearreview.com/dbpix/IkeyOwenskorgcx3-l.jpg)ma QUANTO è bono ikey in questa foto? :D

minchia sta foto sembra del 1940

Inked
CAT_IMG Posted on 5/11/2007, 21:50

Se non ricordo male dovrebbe usare anche un Moog,il rhodes io personalmente se lo suona non sono mai riuscito ad accorgermene (a dire il vero pure marcel ne suonerebbe uno dal vivo).
Chissà se si deciderà a prendersi una Nord anche lui

Inked
CAT_IMG Posted on 5/12/2007, 20:14

Nei tre pezzi leakkati io anche sforzandomi non sono riuscito a sentire "la mano" di Ikey,ma la considerazione che volevo fare è generale e riguarda il modo in cui suona la sua CX3.
Mi sono spesso chiesto perchè usa suoni soffici e non quelli belli unti e grassi tipo il katana e il groovin,che secondo me si addicono di piu al suono dei mars volta e se non altro riuscirebbero sicuramente a farlo sentire di piu senza dover necessariamente "alzarlo" in fase di mixaggio e dal vivo.

Stephen Dedalus
CAT_IMG Posted on 6/12/2007, 11:50

per me va benissimo che si senta ogni morte di papa, e di sottofondo, che se gli dai un suono ancora più 'presente' tanto vale fare noise :P

Inked
CAT_IMG Posted on 6/12/2007, 12:39

CITAZIONE (Stephen Dedalus @ 6/12/2007, 11:50)
per me va benissimo che si senta ogni morte di papa, e di sottofondo, che se gli dai un suono ancora più 'presente' tanto vale fare noise :P

Beh,per certi versi,i MV si possono considerare un gruppo noise secondo me.
Ikey per come la vedo io e per il tipo di strumentazione che ha, dovrebbe fare da vero e proprio "tappeto sonoro",il suo korg cx3 sarà anche un emulatore ma i suoni li riproduce piu che bene e il "basso" dell'hammond dovrebbe piu spesso o almeno far si che si senta,cosi come potrebbe fare col moog.
SPOILER (click to view)
il tipo nel video con la tuta da operaio che si dimena come un matto è fantastico,lo vedrei bene come "agitatore" stile pimp soil nei mars volta di fianco a cedric :lol:

CAT_IMG Posted on 16/11/2009, 16:49

Hand over hand over hand

Group:
Administrator

http://www.westword.com/2009-11-12/music/t...e-moral-agents/

CITAZIONE
Westword: How did you end up being the keyboardist in the Mars Volta, and what do you see as your role in Free Moral Agents as compared with your role in Mars Volta?

Isaiah "Ikey" Owens: I ended up in the Mars Volta because Omar and Cedric moved six blocks away from me. We had a mutual friend, and they had a band called De Facto while At the Drive-In was still going, and I joined De Facto. When At the Drive-In broke up, I moved over to the Mars Volta. Basically, in the Mars Volta, my role is as a live keyboard player. I have little to nothing to do with the records at all.

Web  Top
CAT_IMG Posted on 8/3/2010, 16:47

Hand over hand over hand

Group:
Administrator

intervista al Nostro:

CITAZIONE
Ikey Owens talks Free Moral Agents
Prolific keyboardist and songwriter Isaiah "Ikey" Owens is best known for his work with the dramatically hard-around-the-edges band The Mars Volta. His roots in the Long Beach dub and rock scene have birthed a more subtle and fluid side project more in-tune with his beginnings with Sublime, The Long Beach Dub All-Stars and De Facto. Free Moral Agents, originally Owens' solo project, blossomed into a full-fledged band which has found time, between his hectic touring schedule with Volta and his prolific session work, to release a number of LPs and EPs.

Owens, who recently finished the latest Volta tour and moved to Berkeley, found some time to answer a few fanboy questions for us about FMA and its upcoming work.

You've performed with some huge acts -- Volta, Sublime, Long Beach Dub All-Stars, countless others in the Long Beach scene. Do you ever feel that FMA has to break out of the shadow of your previous work?

I don't consider my previous work a shadow, I think of it as a guiding light showing me the wayto my own creativity and expression.... hence Free Moral Agents.

What's next for Free Moral Agents? You've mentioned going back into the studio, do you have a timeframe for completing a new release? Also, do you guys have a label now that GSL is R.I.P.?

We're going to be touring the us with Sage Francis as his back up band in May/June. We'll also be the opener. We're going to be releasing a live record shortly and our studio record we've had finished for a minute. It'll be out on Chocolate Industries soon. We're working on a follow up to that record this spring and should be finished by fall.

"We have a really beautiful understanding in our band."

Volta hasn't exactly had a static line-up, and even you were out for a brief period of time. Now that you're getting some more time to work with FMA, what does your future with Volta and other obligations look like?

I never know what The Mars Volta is going to next. I stopped trying to figure it out a long long time ago.

Free Moral Agents started out as your solo project, so how did your current line-up come to be?

I wanted to play live. Rather than try to re-work my solo record we started writing new and better songs. I've known Mendee for close to 15 years now and we've been making music off and on for ten. I decided to build a band around her that would play loud, groove-oriented music. Everyone just sort of fell into place. Ryan, Reid and Jesse moved to Long Beach from Virginia about eight years ago. I was a big fan of their old band the Luke Warm Quartet which happened to break up right as FMA was forming.

Dennis I've know since jr. high. He was in an amazing band called Suburban Rhythm. I saw Sublime and No Doubt open for his bands back in the day. He introduced me to the fact that there was such a thing as a local music scene. I wanted the bass in FMA to rooted in the dub tradition and I knew Dennis would understand and respect that.

"I don't believe in gathering a group of talented and creative people together only to tell them what to do all the time."

Now that FMA is more of a collective than a solo project, what's the extent of your creative control with the group? Do you oversee every detail, or do you let your group have their moments?

Everyone in our band participates in the creative process. I don't believe in gathering a group of talented and creative people together only to tell them what to do all the time. We all write, we all have input on the direction of the band. They practice while I'm out on tour and write while I'm on tour as well. I handle the production and mixing by myself for the most part but everyone's opinion is a part of my decision making process.

I've outlined a pretty clear vision for what the band is and I've found people who are in agreement with that, and have even enhanced in. There's plenty of room for personal expression within my vision for the band. We have a really beautiful understanding in our band.

You have such an eclectic resume of session work, from metal to dub to R&B -- what do you identify as the stylistic consistency behind your body of work?

I don't think there is a consistency to my work.

You're a prolific collaborator, so are their any future collaborations in store for FMA? Who would you like to work with in the future, either as a solo artist or with FMA?

I did some work for a band called Free the Robots that should be out soon. I'd really like to get NoCanDo on the next FMA record. I'm also producing a singer named Mainey Wilson, she's gonna really kill people. I've also been working with a rock band called Mode.

IKEY'S TOP 5 OF THE 2000S
Dntel - Dumbluck (2007)
Animal Collective - Feels (2005)
OutKast - Stankonia (2000)
TV on the Radio - Dear Science (2008)
Jay Z - Black Album (2003)

Free Moral Agents will be touring with Sage Francis this Summer.

http://blueskyoutpost.blogspot.com/2010/03...ral-agents.html

Web  Top
22 replies since 19/5/2006, 22:09   533 views