THE MARS VOLTA ITALIA forum: "In Thirteen Seconds"

Omar Rodriguez, con Juan, Marcel, Adrian, Cedric e altri, 2° lp, 2005

« Older   Newer »
starsucker
CAT_IMG Posted on 12/11/2005, 17:49

user posted image

a quanto pare è uscito in olanda giorno sette.. dovrebbe uscire un po' ovunque nel resto del mondo il ventotto. david, sei pregato di prenderlo quando vai a berlin e ripparlo per tutti noi. wink.gif

vi riporto una cosa scritta da un tizio di comatorium, se sapete l'olandese siete avvantaggiati.

CITAZIONE
Yes that is the cd. It was also available on vinyl as well as Manual Dexterity 1. All four the items were 12 euros. The new CD is recorded in the beginning of june in Amsterdam, just a few minutes from my house, no wonder i bumped into him once. It says on the cd that a lot of overdubbing was done on tour in august. The CD has five songs on it with dutch names and Omar wrote all the text himself in dutch, which would be another hint of him actually living in Amsterdam. I will translate the text on the cd some other time.
This is the Tracklist and the meaning of the dutch titles:

1. Een ode aan Ed van der Elsken (A tribute to Ed van der Elsken)
- A short intro to the album
2. Regenbogen stelen van prostituees (Stealing rainbows from prostitutes)
- A great song which makes me want to dance
3. Jacob van Lennepkade (This is the name of a canal in Amsterdam)
- Another great song, bit more jazzy with fabulous solo's from Omar and Adrian.
4. Vondelpark bij nacht (Vondelpark (the most famous park in Amsterdam) by night)
- A slow song which gives a nice athmosphere
5. Spookrijden op het fietspad (ghostriding on the bicycle path)
- The nice end of the album that is really relaxing

So this CD is clearly abou life in Amsterdam.

The show was really phenomenal! It was definately one of the best shows I've ever seen! I was right on the first row together with two other fans I met just before the concert, one from Boston and one from Canada.

They played the following set I think:

-Spookrijden op het fietspad
(after the first song thjere was a break, because th monitors of Adrian and Omar did not work)
-Regenbogen stelen van prostituees
-Vondelpark bij nacht
-Jacob van lennepkade

The members of the quintet were:

Juan on bass, which gave the spine of all the songs
Adrian on Sax, flute, his other sax-like instruments and percussion
Mikey on 4 different keyboards and a bit percussion
Marcel on a drum kit and some other percussion as well
Omar on guitar.

Omar was really the director of the show. He stood most of the time with his back to the crowd to make a better bond with the rest of the band. He spoke a few words about some of their stuff being lost and broken so not everything went too well for his idea, but the show was very convincing so it did not matter at all. Most of the crowd loved the show I think, but some people did not understand the language of the music and were a bit bored I think. I am really looking forward to tomorrow when I can see the show again!

GO TO ONE OF HIS SHOWS IF YOU CAN!!!

This is what www.konkurrent.nl says about the album:

Deze zomer logeerde Omar A. Rodriguez-Lopez (Mars Volta, At The Drive In) een paar weken bij vrienden in Amsterdam. Beetje fietsen, naar de coffeeshop en vooral heel veel muziek maken. In no time had Omar een heel album bij elkaar geschreven met psychedelische Nederlandse titels als 'Spookrijden op het fietspad' of 'Regenbogen stelen van prostituees'. De plaat is afgemaakt tijdens het toeren door de VS. onder een moordend regime van reizen, soundchecken, opnemen, optreden, et cetera. De hele Mars Volta is zelfs ingeschakeld voor het meest verrassende project dat je maar uit deze hoek had kunnen verwachten. Wat Miles Davis' 'Bitches Brew' is voor de jazzrock uit de vroege jaren zeventig, is dit album van Omar Rodriguez voor de jaren 2000 en daarna. Kan zomaar worden toegevoegd aan de canon van invloedrijke platen.

It means:
This summer Omar A. Rodriguez-Lopez (Mars Volta, At The Drive In) stayed with friends in Amsterdam. A bit of biking, going to coffeeshops and above all making music. In no time Omar wrote a whole album with psychedelical Dutch titles like 'Spookrijden op het fietspad' or 'Regenbogen stelen van prostituees'. De record is finished during the US tour while he also had to travel, soundcheck, record, play live, and so on. The whole Mars Volta even is used for the most surprising project you could have imagined from them. What Miles Davis 'Bitches Brew' is for the early 70s jazzrock, is this record of Omar Rodriguez for the 2000s and after. This record can be added to the most influencing records of all time.

This would mean Omar does not have a house in Amsterdam, but likes to stay with some friends there.

CITAZIONE
Besides Omar the following are playing as well:
Adrian Terrazas-Gonzales - Saxophone and percussion
Marcel Rodriguez-Lopez - Drums, keys, percussion and gong
Juan Alderete de la Pena - Bass
Cedric Bixler-Zavala - percussion
Jonathan Robert de Baun - Recordings and bass
Eric Salas - Drums

edit alcuni link utili:
Ordinare il cd su Amazon.com (22 dollari d'importazione, disponibile dal 17 novembre)
Ordinare il cd su Amazon.co.uk (10 sterline, disponibile dal 20 novembre)
Sito ceco da dove si possono ordinare cd e vinile dell'album
Discussione sui concerti dell'OR-LQ
Discussione su file da scaricare dell' OR-LQ

Edited by Kitt - 13/11/2005, 21:51

CAT_IMG Posted on 13/11/2005, 12:33

Hand over hand over hand

Group:
Administrator

grandioso, non aggiungo altro. smile.gif

david, pensaci tu! wink.gif

Web  Top
CAT_IMG Posted on 13/11/2005, 21:51

Hand over hand over hand

Group:
Administrator

ho aggiunto qualcosa al primo post...

chissà se il cd/lp si troverà anche all'ATP...speriamo...

Web  Top
CAT_IMG Posted on 14/11/2005, 18:26

Hand over hand over hand

Group:
Administrator

una piccola recensione brano per brano fatta da un fan:
CITAZIONE
Wow. Having just listened to the album all the way through, I am amazed at how remarkably tight and focused this effort is. If any one cares, here's a short review of the album, track by track:

1. Een Ode Aan Ed Van Der Elsken - This starts the album off with a dark, ethereal, ambient feel, and once the beat takes over, it ushers in the next track... it feels more like an intro to the record itself.

2. Regenbogen Stelen Van Prostituees - Juan starts this one off with a sort of jazz noir bass line, with soaring guitar atmospherics giving way to a funky, demented riff led by the guitar figure and the almost 8-bit sounding keys. Adrian really shines here, using his style to complement the dynamics of the song structure. Omar rips into some tasty wah-drenched solos, all the while Marcel keeps a funky-ass 5/4 beat alive, and Cedric lines it with his frenetic percussion sometime into it. The band then explodes into full-on Funhouse Nightmare mode to close out the track.

3. Jacob Van Lennepkade - Sounding sort of like a rockier Jaga Jazzist track, this one finds the band exploing the prog-jazz-funk territory that was laid down on Regenbogen, with a slightly laid back feel. Jacob is a centerpiece for Omar's atonal tendencies, but it sounds sensical in the vocabulary that the band is speaking. Abruptly, the insanity ends, leading into...

4. Vondelpark Bij Nacht - A very eastern sounding track, it's a drone fest complete with sitars and brooding horns, as well as drum accents. Sounds almost drugged-out, and tense.

5. Spookrijden Op Het Fietspad - My favorite track on the record! Continues in the same vein where Regenbogen left us, Spookrijden is a fun, menacing-sounding epic, sounding the most like TMV, yet retaining this band's unique identity. After such an adventure, the track winds down to a stop, leaving you wanting more.

Hopefully, Omar has the sense to make a full-length of this material, and if this is any indication of some of the elements they can bring into the Mars Volta, then we're in for a treat come next year.

Web  Top
CAT_IMG Posted on 16/1/2006, 17:40

Hand over hand over hand

Group:
Administrator

news dalla GSL:
CITAZIONE

GSL NEWS - January 13, 2006

+Omar's Europe-only CD/LP will be available through GSL's mailorder within the coming weeks. As soon as it is in stock it will be added to the shopping cart and we will also list the prices here. Please do NOT pay the insane prices Amazon are charging for this item! Also, to clarify, this is NOT the 2nd half of the Manual Dexterity Soundtrack - it is its own album, released to coincide with the European tour this past November of the Omar Rodriguez Quintet.

Quindi, a breve, cd e lp dell'Omar Rodriguez-Lopez Quintet si potranno acquistare dal sito della GSL (che esorta i fan a NON pagare per suddetto cd/lp "l'insano prezzo" proposto da Amazon!)

Web  Top
CAT_IMG Posted on 3/4/2006, 16:46

Hand over hand over hand

Group:
Administrator

da Rumore:

CITAZIONE
Musicisti a 360 gradi, i Mars Volta hanno da sempre un piede nel rock, più o meno post, e l'altro nel jazz, più o meno post. Soprattutto Omar Rodriguez, il chitarrista, ha sempre voluto far vedere che il suo cuore musicale è diviso tra queste due metà.
Questo è il suo secondo album solo. Una volta lo avremmo definito jazz rock, ai tempi di Chick Corea e Herbie Hancock. Rumori di caravanserragli e sospese tensioni jazzistiche ad introdurre una serie di brani strumentali improvvisati.
Regenbegen Stelen Van Prostutuees, ad esempio, rievoca lo spirito di Pharroah Sanders, con lo strumento principale che è il sax alto. Mentre un pò di 70's Philadelphia sound contribuisce alla frenesia wah wah di [I[Jacob Van Lennekade.
Accompagnano ogni brano gli intricati e lancinanti assoli alla chitarra di Rodriguez. Il suono è aspreo, denso, convulso.
Tutto ciò, però, lo confesso, mi lascia perprlesso. Mi viene in mente quel che disse una volta Jaz Coleman dei Killing Joke:"Il jazz rock? Un mucchio di note che non vanno in nessuna direzione..."
Claudio Sorge
2/5

Web  Top
Walkabout
CAT_IMG Posted on 3/4/2006, 19:29

forse dovrei ascoltarlo meglio, la prima impressione non era stata delle migliori.

*Sandoz
CAT_IMG Posted on 4/4/2006, 06:40

no neanche per me.

Walkabout
CAT_IMG Posted on 31/5/2006, 19:18

gli ridarò un ascolto... ma i 27 minuti monoriffici della prima o seconda canzone mi avevano steso

Fanta!
CAT_IMG Posted on 21/6/2006, 12:16

l'ho trovato a 14,50 in negozio qua a milano(buscemi... mitico!)

non male!

gran bel piccolo cd!

Walkabout
CAT_IMG Posted on 3/9/2006, 23:15

Non so da dove sia stato tratto questo articolo...

CITAZIONE
“Spookrijden op het fietspad.” Can’t understand it? No worries, Omar Rodriguez-Lopez has trouble with it, too, and it’s his song! The title translated, “ghost riding on the bicycle path,” is one of the five Dutch-titled songs on Omar’s untitled solo album, which he’s currently on tour supporting in The Netherlands. That track, derived while Omar was bike riding in Holland, was translated with a little help from his friends, explains Omar, “I have some friends who speak Dutch that live close to me, and I can ask them for a translation or what not. Little things here and there stick out to me and find their way into the titles of songs.”

Walkabout
CAT_IMG Posted on 21/9/2006, 23:02

CITAZIONE
The label who issued the "Inertiatic ESP" and "Televators" picture discs (Erika Records) will be releasing Omar's Dutch import-only album on vinyl in November or December. This will be a limited edition, numbered pressing of 2000 copies only, and we will be selling copies for mailorder on our site. A preorder will be set up within a few weeks. The album will be released properly on GSL in 2007.

by gsl

halorama
CAT_IMG Posted on 26/9/2006, 12:53

CITAZIONE (Walkabout @ 4/9/2006, 00:15)
Non so da dove sia stato tratto questo articolo...

CITAZIONE
“Spookrijden op het fietspad.” Can’t understand it? No worries, Omar Rodriguez-Lopez has trouble with it, too, and it’s his song! The title translated, “ghost riding on the bicycle path,” is one of the five Dutch-titled songs on Omar’s untitled solo album, which he’s currently on tour supporting in The Netherlands. That track, derived while Omar was bike riding in Holland, was translated with a little help from his friends, explains Omar, “I have some friends who speak Dutch that live close to me, and I can ask them for a translation or what not. Little things here and there stick out to me and find their way into the titles of songs.”

...dal sito della VOX, noto brand di amplificatori per chitarra, dei quali omar sembrerebbe essere un endorser.

(per intenderci, il mitico vox ac30 era l'ampli di brian may dei queen - che ne usava 12 dal vivo - nonchè dei beatles)

recensione da www.sentireascoltare.com

CITAZIONE
Omar Rodriguez Lopez – Self Titled (War / Wide, 26 marzo 2006)
di Gianni Avella

Immaginate la Mahavishnu Orchestra di John McLaughlin, solo che al posto del violino di Jerry Goodman c’è un sassofono, dal taglio molto arty-jazz, che brama fughe convulse in combine con una chitarra di chiara estrazione post-core. Niente paura, non stiamo parlando di una fantomatica reunion (anche se di questi tempi…) del supergruppo fusion, ma solo di un lavoro, il secondo solista, di Omar Rodriguez Lopez, l’occhialuto “afro” in libera uscita dai suoi Mars Volta.

Un avvertimento per i detrattori, che sono tanti: lasciate perdere questo disco, tanto non ci troverete niente di quello che già non si conosca sullo smilzo Omar e del suo prog-entourage; ma se invece siete in vena di nuovi neologismi in negativo (visto che la lista di aggettivi per denigrare il nostro è in dirittura d’arrivo) fatevi sotto; ne avrete di che sparlare sull’ennesima suite latineggiante a là Santana (Jacob Van Lennepkade in particolare: diciassette minuti di pura elegia jazz-rock che a tratti evoca anche i Chicago di Transit Autoriry), sul prog tuonante di Regenbogen Stelen Van Prostituees e tirato di Spookrijden Op Het Fietspad; per non dire poi di quelle due arie psichedeliche, Vondelpark Bij Nachte e Een Ode Aan Ed Van Der Elsken, che più seventies non si può!

E ora dai, critico “intellighente” di turno, torna ad ascoltare i tuoi amati Don Caballero, che sono sì (anche) prog ma fanno anche figo, molto molto figo… (7.0/10)

*Sandoz
CAT_IMG Posted on 26/9/2006, 14:50

sempre piu' contenta delle decisioni scaturite tra sabato e domenica :) grazie halo!

30 replies since 12/11/2005, 17:49   412 views