THE MARS VOLTA ITALIA forum: "In Thirteen Seconds"

PXLR8R: Art by Sonny Kay

« Older   Newer »
CAT_IMG Posted on 25/1/2009, 19:26

Hand over hand over hand

Group:
Administrator

di lui abbiam parlato spesso da queste parti: deus ex machina della defunta GSL, ex cantante di Angel Hair, VSS, Subpoena The Past, Year Future, ora negli Optional Body, obiettivo di sbuccia, realizzatore di artwork vari per i dischi dei Mars Volta, ora ha anche un sito dove potete vedere le sue opere (non tutte collegate ai TMV e vari): www.sonnykay.com

si tratta perlopiù di collage. se passate da Los Angeles, andate a un posto chiamato Han Cholo: questo mese ci troverete una sua esposizione.

fra le sue opere piuttosto note da queste parti:
SPOILER (click to view)

ma bisogna aggiungere anche quelle di Old Money, Megaritual, Despair...

e vende anche le sue stampe:
CITAZIONE
Apocalypse (edition of 20)
Old Money (edition of 20 - exactly like the record cover)
Megarituals (edition of 50 - this is a single print with both images used on the album)
Icecap aka Minor Cuts (edition of 50)
Ovarianaviary aka Despair (edition of 20, does not say Despair on it - just the image)

They are $22 each including first class postage. Email me if you're overseas. My email and address for Paypal: PXLR8R@ gmail.com

sul sito o sulla pagina www.myspace.com/pxlr8r trovate altre info sulle stampe in vendita.

la mia preferita è la copertina di Old Money.

w lui!

Web  Top
sbuccia
CAT_IMG Posted on 27/1/2009, 19:08

al massimo il contrario....
chi deve capire, capirà.

p.s.i mean:
SK dice:
"How old is Eva?"
Piero dice:
"21"
SK dice:
"MMMMM (mugugno erotico)... I like it!"

CAT_IMG Posted on 26/5/2009, 18:57

Hand over hand over hand

Group:
Administrator

CITAZIONE
http://thecitrusreport.com/story/sonny_kay_1449

Sonny Kay

The LA-based artist and Art Director of Omar Rodriguez-Lopez Productions sheds light on art, owning a record label, his boys The Mars Volta, and all this swine flu bullshit.

by Evan La Ruffa May 25, 2009

Very few people have quite as diverse a resume as Sonny Kay... lead vocalist, record label owner, art director, and up-and-coming digital collage artist, are all stops on his personal roadmap. When he's not creating the imagery for an upcoming album, he's probably meshing henna-tattooed hands, bird beaks, gorilla heads, and ice worlds to push us into the most surreal of digital habitats. His pieces are exactly that - living, breathing, tripped-out nether-places, silently inviting us to come along. His art is an unabashed testament to cultural juxtaposition - a jarring, yet friendly jab to our collective third eye. Before heading to Geneva, Switzerland for a DJ gig supporting The Joy Division, I was able to catch up with Sonny to find out more about his personal background, his artistic influences, and how the hell he conjures up these bizarre panoramas. —Evan La Ruffa

1) You're in LA these days, but where are you from originally?

I grew up in L.A., actually. I was born in London, and traveled around the world quite a bit for the first few years of my life. My Dad was a film director so we bounced around a lot - Barcelona, Johannesburg, back to England. I moved to L.A. when I was 7 and then we moved to Colorado when I was 15. I moved back to California as soon as I finished college - first Berkeley, then Oakland, then San Diego, and eventually L.A. A lot of places feel like "home".

2) You founded GSL (Gold Standard Laboratories) while at college, how the hell did you pull that off? What inspired you to own and run your own record label? Based on my college experience, I can't imagine being so productive!

Ha, well, college wasn't exactly productive for me in an academic sense. I got a lot done in terms of playing in bands, touring, "networking" with a fairly large amount of people, etc. But my school work, particularly art, really suffered. I squeezed by. I was totally preoccupied with music. I was the singer in bands (Savalas '90-'92, Angel Hair '93-'95, The VSS '95-'97), and I also booked and managed the campus rock club in Boulder which was operated, as far as I was concerned, very much in a punk/DIY persuasion. I'd booked punk shows for a few years beginning in 1990/'91 or so, and GSL really just grew out of that world. Bands I was in had done records with little labels here and there and the culture of the whole underground scene at the time made starting and distributing a label fairly easy, not to mention even a little glamorous, relatively speaking. There were labels like Gravity and Sympathy for the Record Industry that had virtual cults spring up around them, at least it seemed that way at the time. Those labels in particular were a huge inspiration on me. But GSL was essentially just a hobby until I got done with school a couple of years later, and moved to the Bay Area. In the early days there was no label to speak of - just me recruiting a few people to help stuff sleeves every now and then. It began as this kind of organic, experimental art project and in many way stayed true to that ideal, if you want to call it that, for 14 years. It fulfilled the contribution I felt like I wanted to make to the world of underground music, and satisfied what I suppose was my artistic drive at the time. But I spent so much time at the club or playing shows somewhere that my grades suffered and I came fairly close to not graduating. I did manage to do really well in a few elective courses that held my attention - anthropology, primate biology, that sort of thing. Stuff I still spend a lot of time dwelling on.

3) I hate to bring it up, but for those of us who spent time devouring the GSL roster, the end of the label was a sad thing. Que paso?

The label came to an end because, basically, we put out too many records and were in far too much debt to ever recover. Like I said, it was an art project. But when some of the bands started being genuinely successful, I think we missed the opportunity to redefine what it was, or could have been, about. Different decisions should have started taking place, but didn't. Eventually it just stopped being fun, but the numbers really made the decision to stop for us. It'd run its course. Looking back on it all now, there are plenty of things I would have done differently, but that's life.

4) In the past, you've done album art for Omar Rodriguez, your own band Year Future, Triclops! and more......how does that usually work? Does a band see something of yours and say " Hey, we need that for our record!"? Do you conceptualize collaboratively ever?

Every project works differently, and the relationship with every band or artist is unique. Year Future was my own band, I wrote the lyrics and the visuals were just a natural progression of the imagery I was trying to project. Nowadays, I create "sketches", rough sort of "doodle" type collages, and try to have 10 or 15 of them going at any one time, just trying to sort of flesh out new ideas that come to me. Sometimes, a band will bring me a specific idea and I will just try to create a visual representation of that for them. Other times, I'm able to pass on some of the recent sketches and something might click, so I'll spend some time finishing that idea or adapting it. The guys in RX Bandits saw a print of Menagerie and pretty much decided on the spot that they wanted to use it for their new album, "Mandala". So I created a whole layout around that cover image, sort of supporting the image as well as working-in elements to support the title. Omar's always been very open to my ideas and given me a lot of freedom to take things where I feel they should go. In a sense, I think sometimes the visuals help to solidify aspects of particular recordings for him, at least in a conceptual or narrative kind of sense. For example, I try and have working titles for all the pieces I show him. "Old Money" and "Megaritual" were in fact working titles of collages that were subsequently used as titles for albums. Sometimes I think we help focus one another, I don't know if he'd agree or not. He definitely helps me focus and sometimes uncover the essence of a particular piece.

5) You've been boys with The Mars Volta, more specifically Omar Rodriguez-Lopez for a while, how'd that relationship begin? How has it evolved?

We had a mutual friend who split his time between Denver and El Paso, and I met Omar while he was visiting this guy once, sometime in '94 I think. We'd bump into each other here and there over the years, The VSS were touring around the time At the Drive-In was starting to pick up momentum, '97 or so. I was running a record distribution company in Oakland at the end of the 90's called Bottlenekk. We distributed the De Facto "How Do You Dub?" 12" and Omar was impressed that this company that specialized in punk and hardcore records would be willing to get behind an instrumental dub band. So we really kind of bonded over a mutual love of dub reggae, not to mention East Bay punk of the early 90's. Next thing I knew, The Locust (whom I tour managed at the time, by default) were supporting At the Drive-In in Japan. I offered to release a De Facto album and things just sort of snowballed from there. Omar became a partner in GSL around that time. As with any long-term relationship, there's been plenty of ups and downs. We argue a lot but never really about what we do creatively. ... just everything else. We're very similar in many ways, and total opposites in others. It's been a long, slow process of learning what makes each other tick, punctuated by profoundly inspiring and fulfilling milestones along the way. We're pretty patient with one another nowadays. I feel very lucky to work so closely and prolifically with him. His motivation is contagious.

6) What's your role with ORLP?

My official capacity at RLP is art director - I create album and CD packaging, visual web content, and help out where it's needed in terms of production management, that sort of thing. I work in other capacities depending on the project - Omar is up to all sorts of stuff these days. I created title cards for one of his as yet unreleased film projects and will hopefully be doing more of that in the future. I do the layout for the Volta albums utilizing the original art created for them by Jeff Jordan. I also collaborate with Cedric on a lot of the merchandise designs, something that's been the routine, if you want to call it that, from the very beginning of The Mars Volta. Cedric very much takes the lead with that stuff, so it's interesting sort of switching of gears for me.

7) Nice nice. Now earlier you had a show at Han Cholo Gallery in Echo Park, CA, how'd it go? Would you do anything differently in the future?

The Han Cholo show went great. It was a good start, considering I didn't really know what I was doing. In the future, I'd prefer to use the space available a little more efficiently. We had a very short amount of time to hang the show and work out any logistical problems, so we wound up using existing nails that we knew were symmetrical for the really big pieces. A lot of them were hung a little too high up for most people. Han Cholo, which has since moved out of that location, is a jewelry store by day, and contending with the glass cases did make things a little cluttered. But overall it was great. A lot of friends turned up for the opening which was amazing.

8) How do you create these bizarre universes man!? Sometimes the various aspects of your collages are so disparate! What's the process of forming these 'weirdscapes' as I affectionately refer to them?

Sometimes I start out with an image or an idea in mind, but more often than not, I let the available materials dictate the path a composition might follow. I'm constantly collecting pictures which I file away into categories so I can find them again easily. If I've stumbled across a particularly large, useful image of say, a barren landscape, then I will try and work with that and see what other images I have saved that will work within it. The quality of the resolution of the image is of supreme importance - in other words, I don't get attached to the idea of using elements that might be visually stunning or "perfect" if they're simply too small and will compromise the effect by getting too pixelated, or blurry. So, the collage aspect in some sense dictates itself. I generally have a theme in mind, but I often let the elements fall into place as randomly as possible. The random aspect creates wonderful associations that a viewer may then read into, but would have never been possible had I actually sat and thought about exactly what 2 elements to marry. A really powerful determining factor in bringing elements together is the light source in any given image. If an element works particularly well within a certain background - that is, if the relationship of one piece to another is believable based on the light sources - then I take that as a sign of something being "meant to be", and develop it from there. I usually try and find a few really powerful, convincing elements where the light just seems to "work" - from there, everything else just kind of falls into place. Some of them take a really long time to "click". Of course, occasionally I do set out to create a specific image, and I search for elements to make that possible. But I find the accidental stuff a lot more intriguing and entertaining.

9) Would you say you're more concerned with conveying an aesthetic, or delivering a certain message in your work?

That's hard to say. The message of each piece is important to me, but at the same time, I realize that it may well be disguised, if not completely absent, to a viewer. I suppose the aesthetic is sort of a by-product. I enjoy the idea of trying to trick peoples' perception, but I enjoy challenging their beliefs more.

10) Do you still paint at all?

I don't paint. I own paints, and from time to time I might get the itch to break them out and attempt something, but I'm easily discouraged. It's been nearly 2 years since I last tried it. I'd like to think it's something I'll eventually get around to doing with any degree of confidence.

11) I might be instigating here a bit, but would you be willing to elaborate on your intentions as far as your recent piece, "Trippin" which you featured at Echo Park? You did exhibit it at echo, right?

You're gonna lure me up onto my soapbox! Yes, I showed "Trippin" at Han Cholo. I was surprised by how little attention it got. Not that I included it to stir anything up, it's just that I really anticipated some negative fallout from it and almost didn't include it for that reason. It's a tongue-in-cheek suggestion of a page of blotter paper, complete with phony perforations. What it means to me is this: Obama, Yes We Can, Yes We Did, all of this is smoke and mirrors. Anyone who believes "change" is inherent to the presence of this man - or anyone, for that matter - in the White House is tripping. Tripping balls as everyone seems so fond of saying. High on their own misperceptions, hallucinating something they want very badly to believe in but are too scared as a species of their own reflections to see the process of making it real through to actualization. So they're settling for the McVersion given to them by corporations and they have no idea what they're in for. I think a lot of people agree with me but it's not a "politically correct" opinion, so it essentially doesn't exist, it's not open for discussion. People are so fearful of the true nature of reality they spend their lives subconsciously denying it out of existence with CNN, and facebook, and presidents. Every aspect of our lives and culture is manipulated, and nothing about how we live in the "first world" is real or connected to the planet we occupy, least of all the Obama administration, which is nothing more than the same old U.S. Government in blackface. That image is Obama, but it could just as easily have been the Pope, or the Lakers, or Miley Cyrus.

12) Historically, who are your favorite artists? Anyone you're especially moved by or fond of?

In terms of classical artists, I've always had a soft spot for Hieronymus Bosch, Dali, sort of the "standards" of the surreal and disturbing. I consider Alex Grey part of that upper echelon as well. As far as direct influences on the kind of work I do, there's no minimizing the impact of people like Storm Thorgerson (during and after Hipgnosis), Winston Smith, Peter Saville, Gee Vaucher. To me, these people are like the Supreme Court of record design. The WW2-era collagist John Heartfield was a definite inspiration. Jeff Jordan never ceases to impress me.

13) What time of day, or what conditions do you work under? Tunes while you work? I often find that creative people feel more apt at different points in the day or with certain stimuli.....

These days, rather than at home I'm working in the RLP office, which is basically a part of the Sargent House office in Echo Park. It makes me more productive and helps me budget my time a little more realistically, not to mention I think it's a lot healthier for my state of mind to be around other people. Having said that, I find I'm far more inspired late at night, and tend to get most of my intensive, concentration-heavy work done then, at home. I'm not really sure why that is but I think the silence of the city around me is compelling, and I find it reassuring to know most other people are asleep. If I'm working at home, I'll usually run youtube videos on my spare monitor. I watch or listen to a lot of lectures by people like Terence McKenna, things to do with spirituality, the occult, shamanism, that sort of thing. When I'm working at the office I tend to go with itunes radio, a lot of dubstep and hip hop. It's good to kinda of zone out on that stuff, it gets me in the right headspace.

14) The coolest place you've ever traveled to and why?

I'd probably have to go with Japan, it's never anything less than total sensory overload. I think it's the most evolved example of western civilization, although it's not without its faults. I'm fascinated by the culture and the tradition and the endless attention to aesthetic. Not to mention, I've had some of the best times of my life there and I just associate it with feeling great.

15) Any guilty pleasures?

English comedies. My favorites are The League of Gentleman, Ali G, Garth Marenghi's Darkplace, and more recently The Mighty Boosh and Nathan Barley. Even the more mainstream stuff like Extras. They're all genius. English comedies and Jeopardy!, my 2 TV vices. I don't actually watch much TV, I don't have cable. My sister records Jeopardy! and we'll sit and watch 6 or 8 episodes in a row, that'll fix me for a few weeks.

16) Any artists, bands, writers you've been into lately that our readers should know about?

As far as artists go, it seems like every week I discover someone else who blows my mind. I spend a good amount of time on ffffound!.com and it's scary how much amazing work shows up on there. My current favorite is Josh Keyes, his paintings are really something special. I feel a lot of connection to his work. Culturally-speaking, I think Ian Svenonius can do no wrong. I'm disappointed I'm missing his new band play in L.A. this weekend. Health are my favorite band in Los Angeles, but they're hardly a secret anymore. Everyone should read the book The Cosmic Serpent by Jeremy Narby.

17) Remember that swine flu shit? Seems like a few years ago now, did you buy masks and gallons of purel or what?

Don't even get me started. I was really impressed by what Omar had to say about it on the NME site this week - it's cultural terrorism against Mexico. As is all the hype about drug cartels and bodies piling up. I've been to Mexico three times this year, border cities included. This is the U.S. trying to turn world opinion against Mexico and destroy its economy by ruining tourism. They want Mexico on its knees so it has no choice but to accept the "Amero" and be turned into a sweatshop once and for all.

18) What's up next for Sonny Kay? Where can people procure your work?

Well, I've been involved in a project for the past year or so called Optional Body. We've done some recording but haven't played out yet, and I'm not really sure whether we ever will or not. I've also been fronting a for-charity hardcore covers band (we only play the Dischord compilation "Flex Your Head", in its entirety) for about a year as well, but my last show with them is at the end of this month. Not sure really what the future holds for me and playing/performing. I'm more focused on art these days, for the time being anyway. But who knows........I'm going outta town tomorrow morning (5/20) for a week - got invited to DJ some crazy Factory/Joy Division retro thing by my buddy in Geneva! Fleshing it out with a detour through Paris, although I just found out Thursday and Friday are holidays in France. Looks like I'll never make it to the Louvre! I (also) may be part of a group show here in L.A. in July at a place called Showcave with some local people like Owleyes and Dan Danger. If not then, sooner or later. The RX Bandits "Mandala" album comes out in July and we're going to do an "RX" edition of Menagerie prints for mailorder to coincide with that. I'm in the process of getting a bunch of prints done of work from the past couple of years. Hopefully there'll be a functioning shopping cart up shortly, we're almost there. I'm very grateful for all the interest there's been lately in prints, it's really exciting.

Check it out..........www.sonnykay.com , www.rodriguezlopezproductions.com

To purchase Sonny's work, contact [email protected] - Sargent House http://sargenthouse.com/

Web  Top
CAT_IMG Posted on 31/12/2009, 17:00

Hand over hand over hand

Group:
Administrator

Redefine Mag, rivista di musica indipendente e arte, celebra Sonny Kay per il/i miglior/i design di dischi dell'anno, in primis per Xenophanes e anche per Los Suenos De Un Higado e Solar Gambling:

CITAZIONE
http://www.redefinemag.com/music/reviews_c...rt-Five&id=1375

Omar Rodríguez-López
Xenophanes
Rodriguez Lopez Productions

Omar Rodríguez-López's cover art easily snags first place in this list. Not just for one release, mind you, but for multiple pieces of album cover art this year. Shown to the left is the artwork from Xenophanes. The sheer number of albums he released this year, along with the amazing album art for each and every one of them almost makes Señor Rodríguez-López seem unreal. Most people can hardly make up their mind about one release a year, much less six. Scroll down to see other amazing art for Omar Rodríguez-López's discs this year.

about the artist
Design and art by Sonny Kay, who absolutely does not seem capable of making album art that's anything short of excellent. Go to his website, and prepare to be astounded by the level of talent.

Ennesima vittoria dopo i commenti estasiati dei miei allorché hanno aperto il pacco che conteneva le mie copie in vinile di Xenophanes e Los Suones.

Io, ancora una volta, ci tengo a celebrare l'artista Kay per gli sfondi realizzati per i recenti tour dei tmv:

http://sonnykay.com/extras/Backdrop_1.jpg
http://sonnykay.com/extras/Backdrop_2.jpg

suoi lavori in vendita nello shop di www.rodriguezlopezproductions.com

Web  Top
CAT_IMG Posted on 14/1/2010, 13:02

Hand over hand over hand

Group:
Administrator

un pò fuori mano ma la segnalo lo stesso:

SPOILER (click to view)
potrei essere parte di un'opera... :D

Web  Top
CAT_IMG Posted on 11/2/2010, 22:59

Hand over hand over hand

Group:
Administrator

apre stasera, ci suoneranno anche RX Bandits (band del rooster Sargent House di cui consiglio l'ultimo album "Mandàla") e i Big Sir. un pò un evento, quest'ultimo. Da che Juan è nella band non ho mai sentito di loro shows.

Web  Top
xenophanes
CAT_IMG Posted on 13/2/2010, 13:52

Lisa ha cantato anche accompagnata dal chitarrista cantante degli RX

CAT_IMG Posted on 18/2/2010, 13:20

Hand over hand over hand

Group:
Administrator

bella esibizione, chissà se ci sarà una vera e propria collaborazione con Matt Embree.

qui una galleria di foto by Evan La Ruffa: www.flickr.com/photos/danrawe/sets/72157623291698763/

nello spoiler l'ultima creazione:
SPOILER (click to view)

osservatela attentamente.
SPOILER (click to view)
:D

Web  Top
Inno Minato
CAT_IMG Posted on 18/2/2010, 13:44

maledetto, meno male che Sonny t'ha messo un uccello che ti caga in testa, ha fatto bene, avrei fatto lo stesso anch'io.

finalmente qualcuno ha capito dove devi stare, in mezzo agl'aborigeni.pussa via.

se non sbaglio c'è anche la tua amada un pò più in giù.

CAT_IMG Posted on 18/2/2010, 13:58

Hand over hand over hand

Group:
Administrator

CITAZIONE (Inno Minato @ 18/2/2010, 13:44)
maledetto, meno male che Sonny t'ha messo un uccello che ti caga in testa, ha fatto bene, avrei fatto lo stesso anch'io.

finalmente qualcuno ha capito dove devi stare, in mezzo agl'aborigeni.pussa via.

:meko: :meko: :meko:

CITAZIONE (Inno Minato @ 18/2/2010, 13:44)
se non sbaglio c'è anche la tua amada un pò più in giù.

who? where? :hipno:

Web  Top
Inno Minato
CAT_IMG Posted on 18/2/2010, 14:41

potrei anche ingannarmi, prima di trovarti t'ho confuso con un'altro 2 volte,
sono poco affidabile, e questa ormai è una regola.

CAT_IMG Posted on 19/5/2010, 18:56

Hand over hand over hand

Group:
Administrator

intervista dalla Kitty Play Rec, parla di GSL, ORL Prod e altro:

http://kittyplayrecords.blogspot.com/2010/...e-false_18.html

Web  Top
CAT_IMG Posted on 3/1/2012, 00:53

Hand over hand over hand

Group:
Administrator

Intervista a SK:

www.thebriolife.com/interviews/sonny-kay-interview/

CITAZIONE
I can guarantee that if there was anyone to convince you on how a band sounds, it is LA digital collage artist Sonny Kay. An impressive portfolio full of collaborative projects with musicians like The Mars Volta, 311, and Rx Bandits can not solely justify the punch that his vivid, detailed landscapes enforce. His meshing of images layered with dynamic splashes of color and shape in his album artwork put influence and perspective to both the way an album sounds and the overall image of the musicians. The depth of interpretation layered within such beautiful, surrealistic atmospheres is a prime example of how the pure aesthetic of music is continually changing; our thoughts on certain types of music are branching from more and more influences, heightening creativity vastly among all platforms. Kay also shows us this, taking his artistic spin of music as a vocalist, record label owner, and art director as well. He took some time from his busy schedule to answer some questions about some of his visual inspirations, his approach on individual projects, and his ideal place to be surrounded by while creating art.

TBL: Most of your artwork, whether for albums or by itself, obviously is appealing through its vivid, color-driven poise and the multiple images that create a very active scene. What was it about art and design that first influenced you to study it in college and continue with it through all your other music projects? Did your involvement in music influence your desire to do album artwork, vice-versa, or did it all seem to mesh together?

Sonny: I’ve always been obsessed with album cover art, for as long as I can remember. I was given hand-me-down copies of the books Magnetic Storm and Views when I was 10 or 11. Both of them are about the work of Roger Dean, who did all the album art for Yes. So I was aware of the aesthetics of Yes long before I ever heard their music. When I started to develop my own tastes in music I gravitated towards stuff like Bauhaus, Joy Division, Echo and the Bunnymen, etc. and, for me anyway, the music of those bands was inseparable from their image, and the atmosphere of their album packaging. From that point on, the music and the art used to sell it were one and the same for me. I’ve never been able to relate to people who just hear some song they like on the radio and become “fans” of the artist. I was much more concerned with the whole picture, so to speak. I became obsessed with the culture of music and art as one experience. So before long music/art eclipsed every other possible interest (sports, for example) and I never outgrew it. When I got into punk and hardcore, eventually playing in bands and stuff, it was all just a progression from that childhood obsession. I never once contributed to a song without some vague idea of what I’d make the record sleeve look like.

TBL: In regards to the album art you do for bands, what inspires you the most in the creative process? The band’s sound, lyrics, image, personality?

Sonny: Every project I do requires a different approach. For example, with Omar’s records, I know him so well and have done so much work for him already that it’s impossible not to factor in all the previous designs, his attitude toward a particular record, etc. In a way, working for him is also creating kind of an ongoing dialogue not only between he and myself, but between him and his audience. It’s a very unique situation. On the other hand, when a band commissions work from me, any number of factors might come into play. Sometimes I’m given music to help inspire the vision for the art, sometimes I get no music at all. Other times, I’m given very specific ideas to essentially illustrate. But all those things you mention – lyrics, personalities, etc. – all factor in somehow or another. The more informed I am on a band or artist, the more I feel like I can dial-in what I’m doing on their behalf. Wherever possible it’s helpful to actually sit down and get to know them personally.

TBL: The multiple images you usually construct in your album landscapes seem to portray some underlying conceptual or metaphorical meaning to the band’s album. Does each image represent some type of puzzle piece of the band’s sound/image or is your direction more geared towards random beauty, perhaps for open interpretation? Any examples?

Sonny: Most of the time, they’re constructed stream-of-conscious-ly according to what I’ve found to work with. I have an enormous bank of images to choose from, so obviously there is some design in the process of deciding what exactly to use. But as often as not I will choose images based on how well they work with one another, how consistent the perceived light source is, that kind of thing. I do enjoy the idea of certain elements being symbolic of one thing or another, so yes, occasionally things can be interpreted in more of a puzzle-type of scheme. But most of the time, it’s not that rigid and I would always prefer the viewer interpret it in whatever way makes sense to them. Some pieces are definitely more political than others, which I just think is unavoidable in some instances. You can’t really use an image of a soldier brandishing a weapon and separate it from its context entirely. On the other hand, placing an exotic animal in some kind of psychedelic dreamscape really does open up the possibilities for interpreting what it “means”.

TBL: How important is album artwork to a band’s image?

Sonny: In my opinion, it’s essential. But I grew up going to record stores and literally judging a book by its cover. I download music, but I don’t really use itunes to discover new bands, not exclusively anyway. And even if I did find something I liked that way, I’d want to investigate the visual counterpart to what they’re doing. To me, the way a band dresses their records says as much about them as how they dress themselves. Anyone who isn’t presenting themselves and their art as a fully-formed experience probably isn’t something I’m going to be interested in anyway. These people who win on American Idol and sell a billion downloads of a song someone else wrote aren’t catering to the same mentality as a band releasing a gatefold vinyl LP of original material. It’s like when a band wants something designed and can’t tell me the most basic info about what an album is about, or what they were envisioning when they wrote it. How can there not be even the vaguest visual (or conceptual) counterpart to any creative gesture? That makes no sense to me.

TBL: I mention this because on the 311′s recent album “Universal Pulse”, I listened to the whole album without looking at the cover, and I did not quite imagine the psychedelic, bold depictions that the album artwork suggested, but I could imagine that seeing the cover before listening may have geared my attention to certain sounds in favor of what the artwork displayed. Has this idea come across your mind in the process?

Sonny: The 311 thing was definitely out of the ordinary for me. Of course, I was familiar with 311 and their music. Overall it’s much more pop-oriented than the artists I usually get commissioned by. What was unique was that they had a few specific examples of my earlier work in mind when they approached me. They basically knew the style they wanted but were open to my interpretation of the concept itself, which was basically just the title of the album. So it was kind of weird to have the freedom to infuse it with my own choices in terms of specific imagery but still be relatively confined to a style, even it it was a style of my own. I wasn’t given any music to listen to, and I worried that the imagery I came up with would simply not gel with the music. I just did what felt right to me and trusted that things would work out. Fortunately the band loved it. I really don’t know if it’s the same art I would have created if I hadn’t been given the direction I was, but that’s the beauty in working collaboratively, not to mention a useful way of discovering ideas or ways of working you may never have found otherwise.

TBL: Are there any bands that you haven’t worked with already that come out as, “Wow, I could really create some cool stuff with that sound?” If so, who are they?

Sonny: Well, it’s not really the specific sound of a band or record that inspires the work I do, but rather the whole experience – the music, their image, what they’ve released in the past, that sort of thing. There are many, many bands I love who I’d be very pleased to work with. The Horrors come to mind immediately; Tortoise, Muse, Battles, Animal Collective, S.C.U.M., the Dead Weather, Warpaint, Acid Mothers Temple, Bit-Tuner, Radiohead, Flying Lotus, Yeasayer, etc. but these are really just artists I like and respect and whose previous artwork has felt compelling for one reason or another. Working with 311 proved to me that what I do is potentially compatible with anything.

TBL: I know that a lot of Omar Rodriquez Lopez’s music, including his work with The Mars Volta, sides towards more conceptual and deep albums, whether it is with sounds or lyrics. In doing the artwork for a few of his albums, did you feel compelled to have the same approach? Were the projects more collaborative with Omar or were you left on more on your own imagination?

Sonny: Working with Omar covers all ends of the spectrum. There are albums that he has a very specific kind of idea or look in mind for, and others that are completely open to my interpretation of his themes or the music itself. Sometimes one or the other of us will feel like the record needs something especially symbolic or metaphorical, other times it just needs a simple design. Most of the time, he just looks through rough ideas I have and decides which ones belong with which record. We’ve both made a conscious effort to keep the feel of the art varied, and at the same time trying to maintain some sort of continuum throughout the catalog.

TBL: I had read that Rx Bandits had found your work ‘Menegerie’ and wanted to use it for their last album, Mandala (2009). First off, what were your trying to portray in the artwork? Second, did the group ever mention why they liked it so much? I was surprised that the artwork was done before the album because I found it depicting the whole L.A. reggae rock sound extremely accurately.

Sonny: Menagerie was one of my first collages and it developed very slowly over the course of 6 or 9 months, back in 2007. I didn’t set out with any concept in mind. I was collecting the bird images and it occurred to me to assemble some of them into a single composition. At first, the challenge was in making it seem believable – matching the light sources, placing elements side-by-side that seemed to reinforce each others’ believability in terms of it being a single photo. Eventually the mannequin became the sort of anchor that the rest of it was constructed around. Over the weeks that I worked on it, I started to develop this idea (or perhaps more accurately, the possibility was revealed to me) that the birds were a sort of entourage supporting the mannequin figure. Birds, in particular, are so easily anthropomorphized – “parroting” other peoples’ ideas, “chickening out”, wise owls, etc. etc. So the idea just kind of developed from there, that these birds are the silent infrastructure reinforcing the blindfolded, cartoonish version of what people in this country think freedom is. The mannequin started to resemble the statue of liberty before I’d even realized that was happening. So, that was basically it. The RX guys saw a print of it at the Sargent House office one day and just immediately felt like it belonged on the album (Mandala). We never discussed the specifics of it, and I’ve never explained it for anyone as thoroughly as I just did. I guess for whatever reasons it just felt right to them. I agree, the image and the album seem to go hand in hand. I consider that one “a feather in my cap”.

TBL: How was the process of working on the film, The Sentimental Engine Slayer, with Omar? What were the inspirations for your art direction on this project?

Sonny: I’d never worked on a film project before Sentimental. The truth is, it was largely Omar’s vision, even in terms of the production design. So he was the single most inspiring factor, and I simply tried to fill in the blanks. I, along with Sara Gross, was basically responsible for designing and decorating the interior of the house where much of the story takes place. We were given a very limited palette to work with – basically, whatever we could find in the thrift stores of El Paso. Omar wanted to house to feel “futuristic”, so right away we were trying to accomplish a paradox. We did what we could with what we had on hand. It was actually pretty difficult considering we only had about 10 days to get everything done. Thankfully the film looks beautiful thanks to the cinematographer, Michael Rizzi. I never imagined I would find myself gluing thousands of dead bees to a wall in the shape of a cross.

TBL: Is there any place in the world that you would love to surround yourself while creating your art?

Sonny: That’s hard to say. I love Japan like nowhere else I’ve ever been, so pretty much anywhere there would be great, the more remote the better. I’d love to have a glass-walled studio in the middle of a forest, or on a cliff overlooking the ocean, or a vista overlooking a vast stretch of desert. I’ve never been to Angkor Wat in Cambodia, or Chichen Itza in Mexico, but I imagine I’d be pretty inspired by both those places. Basically, anywhere outside the clutter and visual/mental pollution of an urban environment would do it for me.

TBL: Future projects?

Sonny: Right now I’m finishing up a couple of projects for Omar, some records as well as some post-production material for his next film, Los Chidos. I’ve also been doing the new Good Old War album for Sargent House, and might do another 311 project as well. I’ve spent most of this year doing design and layout stuff for RLP and Sargent House which gave me a breather from the collage stuff. Having said that, IPMM (ipaintmymind.org) are issuing a new limited-edition print sometime in the next month or so, I’m just wrapping it up for them now. I’d like to jump back into the collage stuff more aggressively this coming year. We’ll see…

Web  Top
12 replies since 25/1/2009, 19:26   495 views