THE MARS VOLTA ITALIA forum: "In Thirteen Seconds"

Interviste e articoli di carattere generale, sui TMV, ovviamente!

« Older   Newer »
SaraKeenan
CAT_IMG Posted on 4/4/2009, 20:16

Buona traduzione, altro che buona lettura! :wacko: :hipno:

SaraKeenan
CAT_IMG Posted on 15/5/2009, 20:40

Source:http://www.nme.com/news/the-mars-volta/44691

Mars Volta call US swine flu treatment 'an act of terrorism'
Omar Rodríguez-López isn't happy about how Mexico has been treated

The Mars Volta's Omar Rodríguez-López has hit out at the western media's coverage of swine flu, comparing it to "an act of terrorism" against the band's adopted home of Mexico.

Speaking to NME.COM from Guadalajara city in Mexico, the guitarist denied that the country is struggling to cope with the outbreak of swine flu. "It's not the hysteria that the right-wing media are making you think it is. It's less dangerous than a common cold," he declared.
He added: "This has been a perfect moment for right-wing republican media to say "You see! You see these filthy people? You see what they're doing? This is very scary!"."It's another act of terrorism, it's another terrorist tactic."

The guitarist went on to say that he believed that the biggest effect swine flu has had on Mexico is on the economy - again due to the negative fallout from foreign press coverage. "When you get your facts straight, there's more infected people in the United States - in New York - than in all of Mexico City where there's a concentration of people," he said. "And New York has not issued an emergency. They have not shut down. They have not taken any kind of ruined economy, which is what's happened in Mexico. "We had to shut down because of the way it was being shown in the media and the way that the world was paying attention. But the fact of the matter is that it's [swine flu] completely treatable and more people have died from the common flu."

Rodríguez-López went on to say that he's currently more concerned with preparing for the release of The Mars Volta's new album 'Octahedron', which is out on June 22. "I had the spirit of Syd Barret's solo records and people like Leonard Cohen and Nick Drake," he explained about the record, which is largely acoustic. "It was an interesting exercise for me to make all the songs acoustic based," he added. "In fact, now I'm finding that it's a limitation that I have - I don't know how to write in major keys! That's why a lot of my songs end up sounding dark, and sad, and melancholy.

"I tried various experiments to try and write something uplifting on 'Octahedron'. It's difficult for me, but that's where I'm going now. My weaknesses are always what interest me."

The Mars Volta visit the UK twice this summer, playing London's ICA on June 18, and the capital's Somerset House on July 13. They also play T In The Park (July 10) and Oxygen (July 11). To check the availability of The Mars Volta tickets and get all the latest listings, go to NME.COM/GIGS now, or call 0871 230 1094

CAT_IMG Posted on 5/7/2009, 17:41

Hand over hand over hand

Group:
Administrator

dovrei metterla nella sezione Octa ma non parla del disco e non parla neanche dei TMV, mi pare tanto cazzata che dubiterei perfino della veridicità...cmq:

CITAZIONE
William Trill’s one of our favourite photographers, and recently he split up that band Wavves by giving them too many drugs before they went onstage. But he’s not much of an interviewer. Still, Vice is an altruistic organisation and believes that everyone should be allowed many, many, many, chances to prove themselves. So we let him talk to The Mars Volta. Like the Rain Man he is, he thought it’d best to talk about food and Come Dine With Me. Perhaps it’s part of a one-man protest until they grow up and reform At The Drive-In.

Vice: Hey, how are you? What do you eat for breakfast?
Cedric Bixler-Zavala: Erm, you know, eggs… ha ha ha.

Keeps you going throughout the day, huh?
Yeah, I only recently started eating them because I was one of those vegan-type people for a while.

Oh, you were one of those, eh?
I was, yeah. I was like, “Fuck! I can take the world on, fuck corporations! I’m vegan!”

Ha ha ha. You’ve broken free, well done. What about lunch?
Fish.

Have you ever seen the TV show Come Dine With Me?
Err, no…

Okay, well I’ll explain it to you. They put four totally unrelated people together and every night they have to go round each other’s houses and have a dinner party and at the end of the week they all vote and somebody wins a ton of money. What would you make at a dinner party to impress people?
I live in Los Angeles so I’d go to Fairfax and I’d learn how to make Ethiopian food and I’d make Ethiopian food. I think if I mention “Ethiopa” and “food” people think that I’m making a joke.

Right, yeah, because famously they don’t have much of it.
It’s my favourite food anyway. Do you like it?

I like it a lot.
I love it. It’s great because you eat with your hands. It’s surprising how good it is.

Is there anything in particular you want to talk about that you don’t get to talk about in interviews?
Hmmm, well, since I’m talking with you guys, I did see one really interesting piece, like, a DVD you guys did on Chernobyl. I thought that was fantastic, like, it was really good.

Oh, okay, that, er, hunting, er, thing…
Yeah. That guy had to travel. That was great.

So are you going to reform At The Drive-In then? Everyone thinks you are…
No, no. All it was, was that we kind of buried the hatchet, and I in particular apologised for being a bit of a cunt recently and talking so much shit.

Okay, well thanks, have a nice day.
Yeah, thanks!

Journalism is sooo easy.

WILLIAM TRILL

http://www.viceland.com/music/2009/06/the-...ve-to-eat-fish/

Web  Top
CAT_IMG Posted on 16/7/2009, 20:38

Group:

Se a qualcuno interessa, su "Rock-a-Rolla", magazine inglese che ho acquistato un paio di volte, questo mese ci sono i TMV:

http://rock-a-rolla.com/main/

Web  Top
CAT_IMG Posted on 2/8/2009, 01:49

Hand over hand over hand

Group:
Administrator

CITAZIONE
The interview is in spanish but it has a visual of Omar's in home studio, having him explain that this is where all The Mars Volta records are made.

Around 0:53 the interviewer asks him about the trio, and Omar says he believes it is coming out in October. The interviewer then asks him what the name of the group will be and Omar chuckles and says, "It's just gonna be under my name, El Trio de Omar Rodriguez-Lopez"

He then goes on about all different genres of music, noting he may not like nu-metal but he's sure other people love it. He mentions Te Police as exemplifying the definition of pop.

He also notes that as much as he listens to music, he watches more movies. Mentions he movie, Kidnapped by Mario Bava as being obsessed with it and watching it 4 or 5 times last week.

2:22 Mentions all the different entities in movies he loves and the video does a nice job of giving a face to the names by giving you a slideshow of the people.

Most interesting part is around 2:43 on, and by all means my spanish speaking people out there correct me if I am wrong. The interviewer asks Omar about his own cinematic ventures and Omar responds that he only does it for the exercise itself and to do it, not just to be processed.

Saying he's done 5 movies, including the names:

La Venganza de los Labios Extranjeros (Latest piece, started in August)
First Movie with Jeremy made in 2001
Letters from the Stopia (Made in 2003)
The Sentimental Engine Slayer (Made with his brother in 2007)
El Divino Influjo de los Secretos (Made in Juarez in 2008)
Boiling Death Request (Made in the beginning of 2008)

You don't have to be hispanic to see that Omar is very at ease in the interview and seems to be generally unbothered by the interview, even smiling and being relaxed during pictures.

Also very cool if you just want to get a look into the studio a little bit.

Cita anche Gozu di Takashi Miike.

Riguardo al disco del Trio de Omar Rodriguez-Lopez, per chi se lo fosse perso, ecco dove era stato annunciato: #entry335600131, a breve ne apriamo discussione magari. Aspettiamo Xenophanes intanto.

Web  Top
CAT_IMG Posted on 9/9/2009, 14:16

Hand over hand over hand

Group:
Administrator

Web  Top
Inno Minato
CAT_IMG Posted on 9/9/2009, 15:58

su rockstar di sto mese c'è un intervista ad omar pre- concerto di Milano,
interessa ? faccio lo scan delle 2 scarne paginette o lascio perdere ?
attendo ordini.

Sandoz
CAT_IMG Posted on 9/9/2009, 16:18

si dai, tanto la nostra credo ci metterà un pochino ad essere postata!

CAT_IMG Posted on 9/9/2009, 18:05

Hand over hand over hand

Group:
Administrator

CITAZIONE (Inno Minato @ 9/9/2009, 16:58)
su rockstar di sto mese c'è un intervista ad omar pre- concerto di Milano,
interessa ? faccio lo scan delle 2 scarne paginette o lascio perdere ?
attendo ordini.

posta pure che voglio capire se avevo letto male io...(cfr. questo post

Web  Top
xenophanes
CAT_IMG Posted on 15/9/2009, 22:09

CITAZIONE
He also notes that as much as he listens to music, he watches more movies. Mentions he movie, Kidnapped by Mario Bava as being obsessed with it and watching it 4 or 5 times last week.

2:22 Mentions all the different entities in movies he loves and the video does a nice job of giving a face to the names by giving you a slideshow of the people.

Kidnapped è uno degli ultimi film di mario bava, mai uscito nelle sale italiane per il fallimento della casa produttrice, completato dopo 20 anni, e di cui esistono ben 6 versioni (!). in italia è più noto come cani arrabbiati.

poi cita la "nouvelle vague tedesca", ed in particolare fassbinder e herzog (a venezia con il cattivo tenente, meglio l'originale di abel ferrara).

quindi passa a fellini e pasolini; cassavetes padre; (ovviamente) jodorowsky e poi un altro che non solo io non ho capito chi è, visto che nel montaggio non gli viene dedicata nessuna foto.

CAT_IMG Posted on 25/12/2009, 21:06

Hand over hand over hand

Group:
Administrator

Omar sarà sulla copertina di Guitar Player di febbraio 2010:

eccone un estratto:
CITAZIONE
GP’S INTERVIEW WITH OMAR RODRIGUEZ LOPEZ for the February 2010 cover story was quite extensive, and there was a lot of additional material that we were not able to include. These lightly edited interview outtakes are presented in no particular order.

The Mars Volta is often described as a progressive rock band. Are you comfortable with that or would you prefer to be pigeonholed in some other way?

It doesn’t matter to me. As long as I don’t try to define my music I’ll be fine. People will always try to pigeonhole music because it’s a natural human instinct to look around and try to make sense out of everything by putting it into some sort of order. But to me, the moment you can define something it’s lost its charm. From the moment you say “I am …” then it’s past and you’re dead because you’ve arrived somewhere. You are something and you’re stuck in that.

Do you feel any kinship with the progressive rock bands from the ’70s?

I like a lot of those groups, particularly King Crimson and early Genesis, because progressive rock was one of the many genres I grew up listening to as a kid—but that music isn’t what I primarily listen to anymore. All those genres have blended together because that’s what we are as people—we are the sum of all our experiences. So, when I hear my music I might think, “Oh yeah, there’s that sort of Black Flag Greg Ginn thing there, there’s a little influence from when I used to listen to King Crimson a lot, there’s that Fellini influence, and there’s a little bit of Robert De Nero, and some Salvador Dali.”

What would be an example of a Fellini influence?

There was a lot of Fellini and Ennio Morricone on the Frances the Mute album. I really like that grandiose and very stylized storytelling.

So you mean the actual soundtracks to the Fellini films?

When I said Morricone I was thinking of that, but no I mostly mean the characters in the films. For example, I thought a lot about the main character in Satyricon while I was making Frances. But I was also thinking of the polar opposite of that film’s heavily stylized and art-driven scenery, namely, the neo-realism of the Pasolini film Accattone. So it’s all these blends, and they definitely contradict each other—and contradiction is a major thing for me. I have to exist in contradiction. I think every human being does. People don’t admit it to themselves, but we exist in contradiction and without that you can’t have a whole truth—you only have half a truth.

Rich Costey is credited as mixing Octahedron, but you were also deeply involved in the mixing, right?

Yes, of course. My input plays a huge part, especially because I’m coming from a conceptual place and not a technical place, but the role is his. I spent a lot of hours in there with him, but he’s the real genius. That’s his craft. I go in there and I butcher his craft [laughs]. I’ll listen to his great mix and say things like, “Turn that up and take that out and change the EQ on that, and in this part we should bury the drums, and in this part the drums should bury everything else.” In my role as the producer I provide the conceptual approach to what makes something sound the way it does, just like the director of a film does. But if you’re not cutting the film yourself then you’re not the editor, and you’re not going to take or try to share the credit with the person whose craft it is to do that.

To what extent are you involved in technical matters such as mic selection and placement while you are recording?

When I feel it calls for it I’ll mess with things like that—but for the most part I have a very factory approach to the recording process. For example, I like to use Neumann U-67s as overheads, I like AKG C-12s as room mics, and I like to put Shure SM57s on snares and guitar amps. And when I’m just trying to get a song down I not only don’t take the time to get involved, my engineers complain that I don’t give them enough time. I’ll just say, “Get the mics up—okay good, close enough. I’m very impatient, and that’s one of my biggest flaws. And of course that’s also why I like musicians that can get parts right away, and when they can’t I put a lot of pressure on them, which obviously makes things worse. Your creative process and emotional outlet—what people call art—is not separate from your personality and your life. So in my life with my family and with others, this is something that I have to work on. That said, I’ve also gotten used to the fact that I tend to pervert sounds so much that I’ll often take a really pristine and beautiful sound the engineer has labored over and mess with it so much that you can’t even hear the original sound anymore.

Given how quickly you work I’m guessing serendipity and happy accidents play a big role in your creative process.

Definitely. Most people try to avoid accidents, but I welcome them. They make me excited. So, sometimes we’ll do something wrong technically and I’ll say, “No, it sounds cool. Leave that.” And the engineer will object that is out of phase or something and I’ll say, “Yeah I know. I like it.”

How important is it to recreate studio sounds when you’re playing live?

It’s not so much a matter of re-creating them as it is having a live interpretation of them, and it’s the same with the compositions. My philosophy is that they are two completely different mediums and I just try to do what is best for each one. It’s like the difference between a play and a film: One’s happening right there in the moment, and the other you get to do over and over and change the lighting and whatnot until it’s perfect.

Do you practice?

Yeah. At least I think I practice. I used to practice a lot more.

It sounds like you’re playing all the time, which is a form of practicing.

I do play a lot. I have guitars all over the house, not just in the studio. My problem—or my strength, depending on your perspective—is that I don’t assign the guitar that much importance. It’s strange because I think people perceive me as some kid who’s in his bedroom all the time rehearsing, and because a lot of people think I know theory they imagine that I’m intentionally writing difficult music and guitar parts. But I’m just writing what sounds appealing and then later I might realize, “Oh yeah, that’s some f**ked up time signature.” For the most part I’ll just be in my room having a conversation or reading a book or watching TV and the guitar’s in my hand because it’s fun and that’s what I’m doing and it’s not that important to me. In that particular sense it’s part of me.

Do you ever think, “I’m going to learn how to play these Brent Mason country licks,” or “Boy, I wish I could play like Django Reinhardt,” or something?

I do sometimes. But when I realize it’s taking this much work to barely become a rock guitarist. But, yeah, Django Reinhardt or Segovia, those are my true heroes. My biggest hero as far as a guitar-like instrument is Yomo Toro, who is a cuatro player. But with any of the other players, it’s like, again, that takes everything I don’t have—finesse, sophistication, and an understanding of how music works and why it works.

You did some film soundtracks and you’re actually making a film too. Is that right?

Yeah. I made four films to date and I’ve done three soundtracks.

Is that something you want to explore more deeply in the future?

Oh yeah, definitely. I like exploring anything that’s challenging. Going back to Segovia and Django Reinhardt and all this stuff—I have classical guitars at home, and I have friends who play like that. I try to have them teach me things because I’m always learning. I just never developed like a guitar player—like a bona fide guitar player—which is why it’s been really interesting to get recognition as a guitarist. It’s a really interesting contradiction.

How do you make the transition from the hotel room to being “on” for performing?

The main thing is that I like to spend an hour together with the whole band. Everybody can be doing whatever it is that they are doing, but I always arrange for us to be in the dressing room together warming up. The main thing is just being together and having that day-to-day exchange.

tratto da: http://www.bassplayer.com/story.aspx?id=10...=omar+rodriguez

e un altro, incentrato sul rapporto con Frusciante (infatti è tratto dal fansite frusciantiano Invisible Movement):
CITAZIONE
Omar Rodriguez-Lopez of The Mars Volta, El Grupo Nuevo de Omar Rodriguez Lopez and a bunch of other projects is talking about what he learnt from John, how he influenced him and what was his role in recording the band's album Octahedron, which was published back in June.

Guitar Player - What picks and strings do you use?
Omar Rodriguez-Lopez - I like the orange Dunlop Tortex picks and I use Ernie Ball strings gauged .013 to .056 with a wound third.

Wow, is that why you don't use a lot of vibrato?
Maybe. I never realized my strings were so heavy until other guitar players were like "What the f**k are you doing?" When John Frusciante realized I had them he was amazed and kept asking me if I was really doing all those bends using those strings. But if I use lighter strings I really pull them out of tune because as I said I don't have a gentle touch - and that also affects my vibrato. Someone like John plays with a lot of finesse, so you can hear all those little things that he does with vibrato and everything, whereas my playing is sort of bulldozer-esque.

Speaking of Frusciante, what were his contributions to Octahedron?
Besides being a very close friend of mine who understands what I'm trying to do, John is another musician that I utilize to execute my compositions. What I look for in a musician is the ability to learn and memorize horribly fast, because I'm impatient. And they have to be able to do it without fear or reservations, and to play with all their heart and soul so that their personality comes through. In filmmaking terms, I'm the writer and director and the musicians are actors. THey learn their lines and say them, and then we share the bigger story together.

In what ways has he influenced your playing?
He's the reason I don't have the affinity for the guitar that I should: because I know that I'm a phony. John's one of those people that I've always wanted to be. He picks up the thing and there's no separation between him and the guitar. Every single thing he plays has finesse and beauty to it. He's a natural, whereas for me it has come through a lot of playing and stubbornness, and thinking that the guitar and I are stuck with each other so we'd better make the best of it.

Inoltre, un articolo dal tecnomagazine Wired che inserisce i TMV tra la "miglior musica del millennio":

CITAZIONE
The Mars Volta: Deloused in the Comatorium (2003), Frances the Mute (2005), Amputechture (2006), The Bedlam in Goliath (2008), Octahedron (2009)

For two skinny dudes with six names between them, Omar Rodriguez-Lopez and Cedric Bixler-Zavala have manufactured a universe worth of labyrinthine art-rock in 10 short years. Once the screaming voice and incendiary guitar of hardcore Texas punk band At the Drive-In — whose 2000 effort Relationship of Command is also one of the finest efforts of the decade — Omar and Cedric broke out of that genre’s straitjacket and freed themselves of boundaries altogether. The result was some of the most challenging, dense and rewarding epic music of the ’00s, delivered by a band of visionary artists who are masters of their individual instruments.

Rodriguez-Lopez is probably, pound for pound, the most talented and electrifying guitar player in rock, a cerebral hybrid of Jimi Hendrix, Alex Lifeson and Carlos Santana capable of annihilating his fretboard on a daily basis. As the group’s chief sonic architect, he’s responsible for not just the labyrinthine rock tomes found on all of The Mars Volta’s releases, but also well over 10 solo efforts released under his name in this decade alone.

Meanwhile, Bixler-Zavala has some of the most diversely powerful pipes since Robert Plant and Black Francis — his voice hop-scotches from punk to rock to funk without losing breath, delivering dizzying lyrics that slipstream between suggestive poetry and naked portrayal like something William S. Burroughs could have written. In addition, the band’s influences vary wildly from esoteric cinema to the art of Storm Thorgerson, who designed mind-warping cover art for The Mars Volta as he has for legends like Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin. All told, The Mars Volta’s technical and creative artistry faced little real competition in our Auto-Tuned ’00s.

“Half the time, it’s about staying interested and not getting bored with the repetition,” Rodriguez-Lopez told me in 2005.

scoprite gli altri 9 artisti del millennio secondo Wired USA: http://www.wired.com/underwire/2009/12/music-millennium/6/

Web  Top
CAT_IMG Posted on 29/12/2009, 21:43

Hand over hand over hand

Group:
Administrator

intervista a Omar Alfredo Adolf Hitler:
CITAZIONE
There's no room for democracy in The Mars Volta, the band's lead guitarist and songwriter Omar Rodriguez-Lopez tells LAURA MCQUILLAN of NZPA ahead of the band's return to The Big Day Out.

Wellington, Dec 30 NZPA - "I see everyone as replaceable," Omar Rodriguez-Lopez says of his band, The Mars Volta.

The guitarist, songwriter, producer and autocrat of the Mexico-based progressive rock band believes there's no place for democracy when it comes to music.

Aside from singer Cedric Bixler-Zavala, with whom Rodriguez-Lopez formed the band in 2001, The Mars Volta has no permanent members, only "consistent" ones.

"Even with the best intentions of making a democratic system, democracy doesn't exist and doesn't belong in art ... What I learned after my last band is there's no reason to try and disguise that and there's no reason to pretend that it's anything else, and things will go by a lot smoother and quicker if you're clear about it from the beginning."

The "last band" he refers to is American post-hardcore outfit At the Drive-In, which broke up in 2001 after artistic differences.

Rodriguez-Lopez and Bixler-Zavala went on to start The Mars Volta; At the Drive-In's other members, Jim Ward, Paul Hinojos and Tony Hajjar, started alternative rock band Sparta.

Democracy led to At the Drive-In's demise, Rodriguez-Lopez says.

"We pretended to be a democracy but the other three guys in the band had real great resentment against myself and Cedric because when things came down to a vote, if we wanted something to happen, it happened, and if we didn't, it didn't and that's the way it was."

Years went by before Rodriguez-Lopez spoke to the members of Sparta, and although Bixler-Zavala has raised the possibility of an At the Drive-In reunion, Rodriguez-Lopez says it's not going to happen.

"It was weird at the beginning because it's like an ex-girlfriend. I broke up the old band, I don't think they wanted to see much of me for a good amount of years because they didn't want that relationship to end. When you leave a a woman or if a woman leaves you, whoever does the leaving doesn't have much interest in seeing what the other person's doing, you left for a reason."

But the autocratic Rodriguez-Lopez warms up when conversation turns to The Big Day Out, which will bring The Mars Volta back to New Zealand on January 15.

"It's probably one of the best festivals around," he says.

"It's hard to explain unless you play a lot of festivals and tour a lot and sort of get into the monotony of festival shows, and Big Day Out has something that money can't buy, it has a vibe, it has a thing to it, it has a feeling to it and it's something that you either have it or you don't. You can throw all the money in the world at a festival and it's the one essence you can't buy. It either happens because of the creators and environments are going out together or it doesn't, and very few festivals actually have that."

This time around, The Mars Volta will make it onto the main stage at the one-day festival in Auckland (they played a small stage in 2006), echoing the band's mainstream appeal -- this year's Octahedron album reached number 12 on the US music charts; their previous album, 2008's The Bedlam in Goliath, reached number 3.

That success has surprised Rodriguez-Lopez, who says it's "a joke" that he gets to make music for a living.

"I'm not a musician, I've just gotten by imitating once, and I imagine I can easily imitate something else and get by," he says.

"I don't wanna be 48 and in tight pants on stage playing rock n roll music, there's nothing appealing about that to me, that's not my life."

With 14 years left before he's too old for tight pants, Rodriguez-Lopez has plenty of time left to change his mind about the band's direction.

"The future of the band, I don't know. I'll have to get there. I'm in the present right now," he says.

"I just need some sort of change, need some sort of radical change in sound and in what we're doing and whatever it takes to get there, that's the future of the band."

http://www.voxy.co.nz/entertainment/no-maj...s-volta/5/34425

Web  Top
CAT_IMG Posted on 31/12/2009, 16:30

Hand over hand over hand

Group:
Administrator

CITAZIONE (Kitt @ 25/12/2009, 21:06)
(IMG:http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-sn...9_6966470_n.jpg)

un commento sarcastico riguardo soprattutto alla foto di Omar in copertina a Guitar Player tratta da OC Weekly: http://blogs.laweekly.com/westcoastsound/b...opez-o-face-gu/

Web  Top
CAT_IMG Posted on 6/1/2010, 00:24

Hand over hand over hand

Group:
Administrator

CITAZIONE (Kitt @ 31/12/2009, 16:30)
CITAZIONE (Kitt @ 25/12/2009, 21:06)
(IMG:http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-sn...9_6966470_n.jpg)

un commento sarcastico riguardo soprattutto alla foto di Omar in copertina a Guitar Player tratta da OC Weekly: http://blogs.laweekly.com/westcoastsound/b...opez-o-face-gu/

QUI gli scans dell'articolo su Guitar Player!

Web  Top
104 replies since 14/1/2005, 19:09   3037 views