THE MARS VOLTA ITALIA forum: "In Thirteen Seconds"

Interviste e articoli di carattere generale, sui TMV, ovviamente!

« Older   Newer »
Kitt
CAT_IMG Posted on 29/5/2007, 22:01 by: Kitt

Hand over hand over hand

Group:
Administrator

intervista a Omar da ap magazine, perlopił riguardo al suo nuovo album solista.

CITAZIONE
the mars volta brain trust once more flies solo in pursuit of a muse..4 stars

rocks like:
-miles davis-on the corner
-shades of joy-music of el topo
-bwana's-bwana

the mars volta albums r already so insanely long and unpredictable that guitarist,chief songwriter omar shouldnt need to channel energy into side projects: bonus cd's would serve just as well. however with se dice, lopez once more overseas a set of jazz-tinged, 70s psych that could just as well be tmv outakes(including a version of tmv's recent live staple rapid fire tollbooth). Which isnt to say that these tracks r throwaways. Neatly tying together lopez last two solo recordings, no bufalo often sounds more coherent and inspired than tmvs last album 2006 bloated Amputechture. once more backed by a band including money mark, tmv bassist juan, and his own drumming bro marcel sticks to a tight funky 4/4 groove even throughout No bufalos wilder material using repetition and space to build drama and atmosphere where tmv may have just piled on complexity. if rumors are acurrate we can expect at least two more lopez offshoot releases before tmv drop their next full length, but if this is the sort of woodshedding lopez needs to make amputechture follow-up a monster, the excess music will be worth it.

q &a

ap: no bufalo was recorded last year while u were living in amsterdam. u recorded, what, 5 records while u were there?

orl:yeah, i did. i really did try to relax most of the time, but for me writing is the equivalent of relaxing. its just sitting around with a guitar. i spent most of my time at my house with my 4 track. it was very normal and laid back. it wasnt like ok, i need to record 5 records, it just happened.

ap: cedric sings on a couple of songs on the new rec, but like all of your previous solo albums, you dont sing a note on it. u actually started out singing in hardcore bands. how come u never returned to that?

orl: this is going to sound weird and pretentious, but i really believe cedric is one of the best singers of our generation. its strange to look at your best friend and realize that hes the best singer around. it makes u fell..not small, but it does make u think,"why would i sing?" but i have sung on stuff over the years. u have to remember for ever record that comes out theres another one that ive chosen to bury.

ap: how many unreleased albums have u amassed at this point?

orl: at least a dozen. i have records from when i was in atdi, some from after that. i have records that i made through that whole period that will prob never see the light of day.

ap: this new rec was recorded a year ago, but in typical omar fashion youve prob recorded 13 other albums in the time since. what have u been up to lately?

orl: well i have just finished the basic tracking for the new tmv record. then theres another record-a more electronic record-that a buddy of mine is going to put out. also hella drummer zach hill and i did a record last year. its heavier, its mostly guitars.

ap: people seem to think u spend most of you time shunning the music industry and recording 12min long songs. with that in mind what is the one thing that would surprise people about u?

orl: oh, man, i dont know. what would you say?

ap: honestly, i dont think people are aware of how funny you are. also, i dont think anyone knows that tmv tour with a skate ramp.

orl: Right!..the skateboarding thing is a good example. most people wont think of that coming from us. but for me, its normal. i mean, we all came from skateboarding, so why wouldnt we have a ramp on tour with us? but most people dont see it that way. most people have this image of us being a lot more serious than we actually are.

Web  Top
104 replies since 14/1/2005, 19:09   3048 views