08. Desperate Graves
09. Eunuch Provocateur
10. Ilyena
11. Teflon
12. Drunkship of Lanterns
13. Luciforms
14. The Widow
15. Wax Simulacra

oltre a Eunuch, pure Inertiatic, maledetti americani!
CITAZIONE
Cedric nailed it.

(FILE:https://www.youtube.com/v/MymbNUWQ1Z4&hl=it&fs=1&)

CITAZIONE
one of their best shows! great set list with the additions of inertiatic and eunuch. you can tell alot of peeps didnt know about eunuch haha. it also sounded great venue wise. all the instruments pretty much balanced out. ikey ripped it up on a few songs.

CITAZIONE
AWESOME FUCKING SHOW!!!

My friends and I managed to be at the barricade for it all.
We heard Inertiatic when they were sound checking it, so we weren't THAT surprised, but we still went ape shit (as did everyone else in the crowd). But Eunuch caught us off guard. I nearly came in my pants.
Everyone was on. Omar was dancing throughout every song, Cedric was being Cedric, though Juan seemed a bit more subdued than usual.
We got "Sarcophagi" in the middle of cygnus, the grooviest versions of Teflon and Ilyena i've ever heard, it was just an overall bad ass show.
THE best Mars Volta sho I've ever seen.

(Side note, seems weird that they keep sound checking SWBW but never play it.)
Also, John Frusciante was there. He didn't play, but we saw him talking to some people behind the curtains. Not spectacular, but it was cool to us.

CITAZIONE
DJ Nobody "opened", spinning some chill, bass heavy records and what not; I heard some Busdriver and Erykah Badu. The band was on at around 8:30 or 8:45. Ended at about 10:20. I noticed John Frusciante was there too., chilling in the V.I.P on the floor. I was hoping he would hop on stage for a little jam or whatever but he didn't. I would have needed new shorts if he did, anyways.

* Sound was great from where I was. Band is still loud as hell but clearer than any time I've seen them live. I even heard Ikey!!
* Pablo's absence is barely noticeable. No offense to him, but you could almost never hear him anyways - he sort of just added to the dense wall of sound that is the Volta live. However, songs like Wax and Viscera were a little different without Adrian there - Not better, not really worse - the songs just sounded a little stranger than what I'm accustomed to.

* The songs off of Octahedron were cool live. Halo was definitely a highlight. `
* Cedric said "Good morning!" at the start of the show. He dedicated Illyena to Helen Mirren, but said the song had nothing to do with her, except just the feeling of the song is similar to to how she makes them feel.

* Also, he said "thank you" a couple times and toward the end of the show (I'm paraphrasing) "Thanks for coming out to the show. This is sort of like our hometown show." And something like "Be nice to those who are nice to you".
* Cedric's vocals were definitely on tonight. I only recall only one little screw-up during the whole show. The crowd sang along a lot. i think it's cool how many for us knew all the words. Even on older, more obscure songs like Eunuch and Inertiac, it seemed everyone around me sang.

* Omar was doing back-up vocals on Desperate Graves and Halo. I could seem him singing but I heard nothing from where I was. If he's going to play guitar and sing at the same time we might as well be able to hear him. Turn up Marcel's percussion/keys and Omar's vocals and the mix would be perfect.
* Some total fucking dick tossed a beer on stage during the opening song, or maybe the second song. Cedric looked very pissed and said something like "come meet me back stage after the show. If you see that guy who threw beer at us, kick his ass for me." I'm paraphrasing. I was pissed too. If you're out there, fuck you, man.

* I was amazed at the how many songs were played. Cygnus had the longest jam of the night, I think. Jams were a little shorter than what we've come to expect from the band. Thomas' drumming was pretty insane, as always. At some points it seemed like he was played twice as fast as the album versions of the songs. He dominated.
* Why do they sell merch out of a space the size of a walk-in closet at the Palladium? What the hell? I felt as cramped up in line for merch as I did at the front of the barricade. Not the vault of the merchandise people, just a tiny space to serve a couple hundred people, you know?

To sum it all up, an excellent show.

Highlights:
Vocals, Mix. Nice venue, Nice staff. Halo, Inertiac, Drunkship, Roulette and Cygnus stood out most. YOU COULD HEAR IKEY! Tons of pretty ladies. You know who you are. Good mix of old and new songs. John Frusciante's very presence, even if he's not on stage, qualifies as a highlight. Good set length, didn't leave you with blue balls, but also didn't drag on and on.
Lowlights:
Asshole who tossed a beer, people who insist on yelling at the band between songs. Marcel's playing was hard to hear from my position (Near Ikey). Omar's back-up vocals were just plain inaudible. If the man puts in the effort to sing, put in the effort to turn up his mic.

Seemed like they played for 2:30 but it was probably 2 hours. Besides the asshole who tossed a beer and the people who wouldn't shut up with "L'Via! L'Via!", the crowd was great. Nothing personal. I like the song too, but at some point you have to realize that they haven't played it in a while, and they don't take requests. And yelling "L'Via" over and over does not make anybody want to play it. The fellow in front of me took a lot of video. Hopefully a boot of some sort surfaces. An excellent time.
Cannot wait to see them at SOMA.

noto porco di 3 lettere

CAT_IMG Posted on 31/8/2009, 17:56

Hand over hand over hand

Group:
Administrator

twitter di Ikey:
CITAZIONE
inertiactic killed last nite! rip jeremey m ward

Web  Top
con_safo
CAT_IMG Posted on 31/8/2009, 19:50

che carino! cantavano tutti in coro!

xenophanes
CAT_IMG Posted on 31/8/2009, 20:17

qui inertiatic si vede e sente molto meglio del precedente segnalato da kitt.

eunuch:

Walkabout
CAT_IMG Posted on 1/9/2009, 01:50

brividi ragazzi. per entrambe, ma inertiatic proprio non me la sarei attesa

niente, che tocca fare? sperare per la primavera? che due maroni.

midinight-sinluz
CAT_IMG Posted on 1/9/2009, 11:10

che dire.. americani culattoni <_<
spero li rimanga sta voce potente fino a fine tour

ribadisco...culattoni

Elvia Zapata Lex
CAT_IMG Posted on 1/9/2009, 11:19

e io che credevo che il peggio fosse stato quando non fecero Frances all'atp.... voglio andare in ammerica!!!

CAT_IMG Posted on 5/9/2009, 13:00

Hand over hand over hand

Group:
Administrator

pare stessa scaletta ieri al SOMA di San Diego:

CITAZIONE
* Thomas was THE SHIIIIT as always. He never ceases to blow my mind.
* The Widow / Wax are kinda of a weak closer, but whatever. It's not my job to tell them what songs to play and when to play them.
* I couldn't understand/hear Cedric half of the time. Mix was good otherwise - I heard IKEY! And Marcel's keys!
* Stop all the fucking pushing, dammit. I could handle myself but I felt bad for all the smaller guys and girls. Have some courtesy. You're making it hard to breathe for the little 4'10 girl behind me. If i can barely breathe, how is she going breathe when you're pushing all the time ? For what - an inch closer to the band?
* They're not going to take requests. Ever. Please stop yelling "L'via!!!" or "Take the veil!!!" in my ear. I like that song too, but it's called a setlist - they stick to it.
* Visuals were awesome. Great backdrop & lighting.
* Jams were decent tonight - not bad, not mind-blowing. Decent. I think Luciforms is jammed out a bit. I can't tell.
* What was better - palladium or soma? like comparing apples and oranges. Soma had the energy of the crowd pushing and moving to the grooves, but at the palladium you could at least breathe easily.
* At soma, it seemed I was one of the few who knew the words of all the newer stuff. At the palladium, we all sang along. The sound was way better at the palladium, and the backdrop changed during the show. Soma has a small stage so it's harder to use all the visual stuff they have.

I think that's it. I couldn't understand anything Cedric said between songs. He mentioned something about radio stations in LA blackmailing him before Cotopaxi.

CITAZIONE
great show, eunuch was amazing, so was luciforms, i love when they bring it back at the end it's so hard
ilyena was great too
god i'm bored of goliath and roulette but oh well i guess
cedric said it was juan's birthday and he's 125 years old, the original cro magnon man
and he thanked local san diego stations for playing their shit, and said that the LA station (kroq) black listed them cause they won't play the game (being dicks and talking shit and only jamming at the weenie roast i'm sure)
great great time tonight bought the fucking raiders/tmv jacket too that shit is HARD

CITAZIONE
oh yeah and that part in luciforms (is it luciforms?) where cedric sings something like 'i've seen this happen, in other peoples lives, and now it's happening in mine' that shit is so tight
oh ok i googled it and it's a smiths song. that shit was fucking beautiful when he sang it

CITAZIONE
And I don't know where TMV's heads are at, but I found it funny that they save their 2 radio singles The Widow and Wax for the end. Having followed this band for so long now, nothing surprises me and even when they disappoint, I forgive them. To end the show on the Widow and Wax just proves to me they have a sense of humor and love to throw their fans curveballs. And I'm sure it makes things fresh and fun for them too.

SPOILER (click to view)

Web  Top
CAT_IMG Posted on 7/9/2009, 02:57

Hand over hand over hand

Group:
Administrator

Dodge Theater, Phoenix, 5/9:

CITAZIONE
The band was awesome though. Hearing Eunuch was amazing, and after the show I remembered that it was the first Volta song I ever heard, and I got all giddy inside. Which was cool because if anyone remembers, I had not been digging the Volta as much as I used to. Drunkship, Cygnus, Teflon, Viscera Eyes, Goliath...all of them were excellent. Cygnus sounded a little bland at times without Adrian but it was the only time i thought the absence of others detracted from the experience. Pridgen is still a beast, and Cedric's bronco kick's will always be fucking sweet.

CITAZIONE
The show tonight was 100x better than the show last year in Phoenix. The energy was so much better, and I could tell the band was really feeling it.

CITAZIONE
the show was amazing. Son Et Lumiere/Intertiatic E.S.P, Viscera Eyes, Cygnus...Vismund Cygnus, and Teflon are standing as my favorite Volta songs(especially Viscera Eyes and tonight's performance of it was great!).

PS: Did anyone else see Omar singing in Halo Of Nembutals??

Son Et Lumiere/Intertiatic E.S.P
Goliath
Cotopaxi
Roulette Dares
Halo of Nembuttals
Viscera Eyes
Cygnus...Vismund Cygnus
Eunuch Provocatuer
Ilyena
Teflon
Drunkship of Lanterns
Luciforms
The Widow
Wax Simulcra

Web  Top
Walkabout
CAT_IMG Posted on 7/9/2009, 18:26

ora come ora sarei un po' indispettito del fatto che Amputechture è presente solo per Viscera Eyes

io spero ancora nel ritorno di Frances The Mute (canzone)

Sandoz
CAT_IMG Posted on 7/9/2009, 20:35

ma che bello il poster!

Fiabeschi
CAT_IMG Posted on 7/9/2009, 22:32

Magari faranno pure 'lvia a sto punto, poi torneranno in italia e faranno concerti con le sole canzoni dell'ultimo... so che sono fortunato, può tranquillamente essere...

CAT_IMG Posted on 8/9/2009, 11:56

Hand over hand over hand

Group:
Administrator

Cain's Ballroom, Tulsa, OK, 7 settembre:

CITAZIONE
Intertiatic E.S.P.
Goliath
Cotopaxi
Roulette Dares
Viscera Eyes
Halo of Nembutals
Eunuch
Ilyena
Teflon
Drunkship of Lanterns
Luciforms
The Widow
Wax Simulacra

This was the setlist, I'm almost positive the only thing he left out was Cotopaxi. Would've loved to have seen Cygnus, but oh well, it was THE VOLTA live so I don't really care. biggrin.gif

The show was great I thought. Cedric did go on for a bit about how much he loved the Cain's and bragged about it to his friends, and that he really appreciated us "being nice to each other". He said that when we don't act like idiots like at some other shows, they take down the barrier, and they feel like closer to the audience and play better, or something to that effect. So the crowd very much appreciated that. (However, I was later splashed with a bit of a beer that some mega-douche decided to throw over the audience)

Omar's amp had a bit of a malfunction during Roulette...so he didn't play for the first couple minutes of the jam at the end, but it was cool to hear the rest of the band go. He looked pretty pissed, but luckily that mood didn't last, cause he was very much back into it by the next song.

And my, A Fistful of Dollars is epic to hear in person, cause you know that any second the Volta is going to walk out on that stage.

CITAZIONE
IT WAS FANTASTIC. Although, they didn't play Cygnus. That was kind of a let down, but that being said, the band was on FIRE. Ced sounded great. Omar was having fun. Pridgen was kickin ass. Ikey was turned up pretty loud which was sweet. Ced praised us for being "nice to each other" and praised the venue the legendary Cain's Ballroom.

Web  Top
CAT_IMG Posted on 9/9/2009, 13:18

Hand over hand over hand

Group:
Administrator

The Pageant, St. Louis, Mo, 8/9:
CITAZIONE
Can't believe no one's posted yet? Set was the same as Tulsa. Apparently they've been skipping Cygnus? I'd been avoiding setlists. Disappointing show, it was about 1:45 and the sound, at least where I was, dead center in the second row, was HORRIBLE. I could hardly even hear Cedric most of the time. Even more confusing since the last show at the Pageant the sound was perfect, I remember being really shocked I could actually hear Ikey. Opening with Inertiatic was pretty huge, and Eunuch of course, but other than that the highlight for me was really the new stuff. Wasn't expecting that. And closing with Widow/Wax? I found that kind of confusing and anti-climactic. The poster is KILLER though, I think it's seriously my favorite show poster I have, I guess I'll take a pic if no one has by tomorrow, I don't see it up on Mexican Chocolate's site. I didn't even think it was Mexican Chocolate at first, they're doing some new stuff.

For real though, what is the deal with these crazy short jamless shows? I know after those few 3 hour shows last spring they toned it down a little but this is a bit much. Even after the house lights came up and the started tearing down the equipment no one left. Some guy even asked me if they were done on my way out. Yeah man, the drums are gone, so I think they're finished. :(

CITAZIONE
I would have appreciated one more song but I'm not disappointed. I was dancing my face off and seemingly the only person doing so (although, I'm short, so I couldn't see everyone) I think the sound was solid although Thomas' kick drum was mic'd up pretty loud. I'm not a fan of Cotopaxi, but I enjoyed the rest of the set. I tried to avoid finding out what the list would be but I came across someone saying inertiatic was involved, so I was hoping for it to be the intro. That and Enuch were the highlights IMO.

Edited by Kitt - 9/9/2009, 19:09

Web  Top
CAT_IMG Posted on 11/9/2009, 12:33

Hand over hand over hand

Group:
Administrator

First Avenue (Mainroom), Minneapolis, MN, 10/9:
CITAZIONE
Just got back from the show... holy fuck, that was so intense!!! What an incredible time.

Here's the setlist, not really in order. Was about 90 minutes and no encore...

Son et Lumiere + Inertiatic ESP
Drunkship of Lanterns
Roulette Dares (The Haunt Of) (with a really beautiful long outro)
Cotopaxi
Viscera Eyes
Goliath
Ilyena
Eunuch Provocateur
Halo of Nembutals
Teflon
The Widow
Luciforms
Wax Simulacra

My friend and I were about six or seven rows back near the right, there was a whole mess of people slamdancing right to the left of us. It was amazing though, I think the feedback was a little too much cause we were right near the monitors but the whole band was tight as hell tonight and Cedric sounded absolutely flawless. No hyperbole, he's at the top of his game right now. He was jumping around and doing handstands and all that crazy shit. Thomas was a fucking tank. Omar and the others were all great.

Cedric didn't chat much, but he said something halfway through the set like "its good to be back here, we love coming to your place... I always imagine this stage like ten thousand times bigger than it really is, but its really only like five." (something like that) "we really appreciate you being here, so we'll play something thats like six years old." (then they played Eunuch, and I flipped out) The roadie kept runnning out with a new hot cup of tea for him every five minutes too, haha.

CITAZIONE
I thought the show was very good. They're taking a somewhat less jammy, more "let's play more songs" approach, which is a really good direction for them I'd say. Goliath was hardly longer than the studio version, if at all, and the Viscera eyes 2nd section/solo was much shorter than the studio recording. The Octahedron songs came across well, and Luciforms' outro was one of my favorite moments of the night. Omar using a palm-muted, wah-pedal funk approach for a minute or so that really contrasted well with the heavy dramatic tone of the tune. While Teflon was my favorite Octo song of the night (can't get enough of that bridge), Luciforms' general gloom-and-doom came across much more powerfully live for me than on cd.

Eunuch and Ilyena were probably my favorites of the night. I had forgotten how many unison stop-start hits there are in Eunuch and the band pulled them off perfectly. Ilyena's extended outro and just all around ballsy funk got me moving most the entire night.

I was disappointed not to get Cygnus, I figured they'd throw at least one big jam session at us. Roulette Dares' outro never took off, it stayed tastefully quiet with Pridgen employing rimshots and Cedric doing most of the job.

From my spot, about 10 feet directly center in front of the soundboard, the show was a treat for my ears. Bring earplugs to a TMV show, you'll get less cymbal crash, MUCH more Ikey, and a clearer sound overall.

Web  Top
43 replies since 31/3/2009, 17:24   11319 views