THE MARS VOLTA ITALIA forum: "In Thirteen Seconds"

Interviste e articoli di carattere generale, sui TMV, ovviamente!

« Older   Newer »
CAT_IMG Posted on 6/6/2007, 19:18

Hand over hand over hand

Group:
Administrator

breve intervista a Omar su Harp Magazine:
http://harpmagazine.com/articles/detail.cf...SearchWord=omar

CITAZIONE
The Mars Volta’s Omar Rodriguez-Lopez:
Chronic Nostalgia
By Randy Harward

Right out of the gate, Omar Rodriguez-Lopez’s Se Dice Bisonte, No Búfalo (“They say bison, not buffalo”) begins to tear at the red fabric of reality, fucking with your head like a good Zappa, or Can, composition. Since the Mars Volta guitarist is so ready to mess with our heads, it’s only fair to return the favor.

HARP: Is there any truth to the rumor you were gonna call this album El Queso Es Potrido y Viejo; Donde Esta el Sanitario: “The cheese is old and moldy; where is the bathroom"?

“Hoo-hoo-hoo-hoo!”

Mission accomplished. Omar’s laugh betrays a playfulness that makes it easy to comprehend the mind behind Se Dice’s free-range space-jams. This is a guy that finds something to appreciate in anything—even a joke from a Pauly Shore movie.

That may be why, while in Amsterdam in 2005, Omar came up with four different albums while also tracking the Mars Volta’s Amputechture and a film soundtrack (Jorge Hernandez’s El Búfalo de la Noche): He can just pluck ideas out of the ether. “Things just come out in groups and you can pretty much say, ‘Fuck, I just laid down the foundation for a record. Okay, I’ll put that aside—and here’s another little record over here.’”

Yeah, easy as that. Only Se Dice (Gold Standard Laboratories), the first of the four discs to be released, sounds like it was conceived by geneticists on chronic. The mostly instrumental songs—Omar plays almost everything—somehow splice the DNA of Zappa, Can’s Holger Czukay, Captain Beefheart, Henry Mancini and Sun Ra. And maybe a little Pauly Shore. It’s freaky and a whole lot of fun, like hearing a new language, one as fascinating and incomprehensible as tone-oriented Cantonese.

Naturally to Omar it’s much simpler, more like a photo album. The songs’ parts are snapshots, and the finished tracks are a series of photos depicting various stages of his life. “It creates nostalgia for me, really,” he says. “It’s like pulling a digital camera fresh from the box. You kinda fuck around with it, get a sense of the camera, and once you get that really nice picture, you kinda start going off. And you can’t turn back; it’s become an addiction.”

Web  Top
Walkabout
CAT_IMG Posted on 6/6/2007, 20:19

molto interessanti queste ultime interviste postate, grazie mille :)

CAT_IMG Posted on 8/6/2007, 21:26

Hand over hand over hand

Group:
Administrator

Intervista a Omar, da Gazette-times.com, molto interessante: rivela particolari aspetti del Bisonte, di Night Buffalo, della sua arte:

CITAZIONE
In praise of self-indulgence

Friday, June 8, 2007

Omar Rodriguez-Lopez of The Mars Volta puts the punk back in prog while following his muse

By Jake TenPas
The Entertainer

Progressive rock is the new punk rock. Yes, you heard that right.

When punk bands such as The Ramones and The Sex Pistols came on the scene in the mid- to late-’70s, the music was a sped-up, no frills reaction to and rebellion against the studio wizardry of Steely Dan, the long, glossy epics of Pink Floyd and the self-consciously intricate instrumental passages and softened production values of groups ranging from Genesis to Fleetwood Mac. The short, simple song killed the long complex one, and the formulaic music of the ’80s was born out of its well-intentioned reductionism.

But we live in a very different world now, one where the dumbed-down three- to four-minute pop song has become the rule on the radio, as well as video channels, and where groups attempting to replicate the sounds of punk rock reinforce the status quo with every calculated sneer. We live in a world where long, complex songs are shunned in favor of disposable pop music made by disposable people that we gladly ridicule in the tabloids once we’ve made use of them.

The only form of rebellion left to us is to think big, to dream big, to play big. When people talk about progressive rock, they refer to an era in the ’70s, when keyboards and costumes and odd time signatures ruled, but much like punk rock, which is now meaningless as a term, progressive rock could now refer to much of the adventurous underground music that is being made in opposition to the wishes and playlists of the corporate jukeboxes that are often mainstream society’s only options.

That’s where Omar Rodriguez-Lopez comes in. The multi-instrumentalist and songwriter who, along with vocalist Cedric Bixler Zavala, left cult punk band At The Drive-In to form The Mars Volta in 2001, has been accused by some critics of being self-indulgent, of ruining music with his long, creative, unapologetically intellectual songs. But in an age of musicians trying with every synthetic fiber of their beings to imitate the latest radio hit and appeal to the masses, what could be more rebellious than looking within for inspiration?

The Mars Volta has released a series of concept albums to mixed critical response, but through it all, they’ve built a legion of followers starving for music as full of possibility for creative storytelling and musical exploration as the music of the late ’60s and early ’70s. Their live shows are legendary, mixing the band’s hard-rocking, multi-part suites with passages of wild improvisation.

This isn’t the music of yesteryear, however, as Rodriguez-Lopez’s latest solo album, “Se Dice Bisonte, No Bufalo” proves without a doubt. Throwing everything from classic funk to guitar heroics to manic tempos to free-jazz solos to spacey psychedelia into the mix, it continues the best elements of The Mars Volta’s vision while managing to find a greater range of emotion than ever before.

In anticipation of its release a few weeks back, I talked via phone with Rodriguez-Lopez:

Jake TenPas: Your albums tend to have long titles, as do your songs, which often have long running times. You’ve got a long name, as does your partner in Mars Volta, Cedric Bixler Zavala. Is everything you do a reaction, even subconsciously, to the short attention spans of our modern culture?

Omar Rodriguez-Lopez: I’m a long-winded speaker when I speak with my friends, with people when I’m trying to communicate my ideas, so my songs are going to be long-winded, my titles are going to be long-winded. I’m a packrat. I collect things. I like a collection of things. I like putting words together. I like putting images together. I just have more fun that way. I think it’s also a matter of circumstance. I’ve been making music or recordings for almost 17 years, so you start off at one place — I came from punk rock, which is two-minute songs, one-syllable titles — and you kind of evolve from there and you do things for years and years and years and then you grow out of it and you get tired of things and you just try to explore. It’s no doubt to me that sometime, by the same process, I’ll get bored of long songs and long titles and revert back to where I came from.

JT: Given the ongoing trend of short, simple pop songs, do you see your long-form music as a rebellion against the status quo in the same way punk rock was a rebellion against the longer, more-polished songs popular at that time?

ORL: It’s not a conscious thing. What you’re saying makes sense simply in that we have so many people who dislike us because of what we’re doing. Instead of leaving us alone and letting us do our thing, people are very vocal about how what we’re doing is wrong, or I meet people — the little I go out — I meet people who will come up to me and go, “You guys are ruining music.” I don’t really understand it. There does seem to be a lot of anger against our band or just my particular way of doing things. Maybe it does seem like we’re an aggressive force against mainstream culture right now. I’m fine with it. We’re just another option. It’s sad that we’re over-saturated with it. It’s sad that for a child or a kid just getting into music, that that’s the most he or she can be exposed to: these three-minute jingles, these condensed versions of songs. But at the same time, three-minute songs have their place also. For that to be the entire spectrum of the musical experience would be pretty sad.

JT: Do you feel like you have the power within the industry to be shaping musical trends, much less “ruining” it?

ORL: Not at all. That’s why I don’t understand the anger directed at us by people or by writers. If you don’t like something, you simply put it down. I’m not going to spend my time writing a full five-page article about something I don’t like.

JT: Self-indulgent seems to be a catch-phrase that some critics use to dismiss imaginative, maverick music. For you, what defines self-indulgence?

ORL: Music is my outlet. It’s one of the only things that I do good. If I’m expressing myself, I’m talking about things, I’m trying to paint things that come from the inside. That’s coming from me. I’m making the music. I am expressing myself. So when they started hitting us with the word “self-indulgent,” I had to stop and think about it. I was like, “OK, yes, it’s self-indulgent. I am writing the songs, and they are coming from me, and I’m making them the way I want to, and I’m saying things I want to say, and when I say them, I feel better. I’m not really thinking about whether you feel better or he feels better or she feels better, so OK, fine.” Then I accepted the word “self-indulgent,” and I said, “If that’s what you’re going to tie me with then definitely, I am very self-indulgent.” I love what I’m doing. I love making music. I love sharing it with my friends. I love sharing it with anyone who cares to listen. So therefore I am indulging in the self.

JT: What’s the significance of the title of your new album, “Se Dice Bisonte, No Bufalo”?

ORL: The record I made simultaneously to working on “Amputechture” and also another record for a film from Mexico by the writer Guillermo Arriaga, who did “21 Grams” and “Babel” and “Amores Peros.” I was working with him on his newest film, and this record is a reaction to that. This was the first time that I let myself be directed by someone else and kind of worked for someone and had to show someone my music and go, “Does this work? How should I change it?” It was a big growing experience for me to do something that was out of my world and answer to someone else when creating music. ... The title was a play on his film, which was taken from one of his novels, which is called “El Bufalo de la Noche,” the night buffalo. My record simply says, “Oh, you say bisonte, you don’t say buffalo.” It’s just sort of a joke between us. It’s about the fun we had getting to the place to make the music for the movie.

JT: Did that process shape the material that you brought to the new album, as well?

ORL: It helped me explore a more minimal side of what I was doing. When I first started making music for Guillermo and Jorge (Hernandez, the director of the film), I tended to do what I do with my Mars Volta music. I started to add things, to add instrumentation and all these different melodies going on, and right away they were like, “We love this, this is why we called you, but this is a different medium. This is too much. We need you to strip it down, we need you to bring it back and not have so much going on, but still have the same type of power.” It took me awhile to really understand that and get to that place. ... When I got to the place they wanted me to get to, it was really exciting and it made the headache of it really worthwhile. ... As a result, this record is a lot more minimal than other things I’ve put my time and energy into, and I really ended up liking it. It’s something that I want to develop a little bit more to balance out what I normally do, putting 96 tracks on one song and whatnot.

JT: You said this is the first time you’ve had to shape your music to somebody else’s whims. How have you been able to maintain that freedom throughout your career, and has it made your journey through the industry more difficult because you had that commitment to doing things your own way?

OLP: I guess it has, I’ve never realized it as such until I look back retrospectively at everything. Why I’ve been able to do it is because I never imagined in a million years that I would even be able to say that I had a career or that music was a career or that I would be doing this for a living. This sort of just evolved day by day from a guy who just sat in his room all the time instead of going to parties, recording on a four-track machine, and who didn’t graduate from high school and who ditched with his friends and f—cked up everywhere else in life just so that we could record songs and play music together. At some point it was like, OK let’s get out of El Paso and buy that $700 van, and we started touring around the country and making our own records. It all just happened very organically. There was never aspiration there besides “Let’s play music, and how do we do that?” ... It was all indie-labels at first, so no one tampered with us anyway, so by the time that we were even a success or that I realized we had a career in music, in the last few years of At The Drive-In being really popular and the major label coming, there had never been anyone to say, “We want to tamper with what you’re doing.” ... When I started The Mars Volta, it was pretty much the same thing. For the first two years, I did everything myself. I put together our tours, I recorded our records, I pressed our records. We existed independently for a while until I had exhausted my At The Drive-In Money and was pretty much broke, and then went and signed a deal. Again, it was with the understanding that, look, we’re doing our thing. Leave us alone. We’ll turn in a record. You go out and sell it. We’ll do our interviews. We’ll behave like good little boys, and if we can keep this kind of relationship, we’ll be cool. Just remember, we don’t need to be here. It’s not about fame. It’s not about money. I left a very successful band and broke it up to go be in a van again and start from scratch because the point is not success or money. The point is something that makes me happy, something that’s exciting. ... We want to do what we’ve always done as kids. We want to hang out with each other. We want to explore ideas, and we want to take it wherever we can take it until one of us gets bored.

To hear a podcast of the second half of this interview, go to www.gazettetimes.com and click on the GT to Go logo.

Check it Out

“Se Dice Bisonte, No Bufalo” by Omar Rodriguez-Lopez is available now at Happy Trails Records and other fine retail outlets. His soundtrack to “El Bufalo de la Noche” will be available soon. “Amputechture,” “Frances the Mute” and “Deloused in the Comatorium” by The Mars Volta are also available. For more information, go to www.themarsvolta.com.

Web  Top
CAT_IMG Posted on 26/7/2007, 19:33

Hand over hand over hand

Group:
Administrator

omar su guitar world:
CITAZIONE
GW: What inspired you to play guitar?
Omar: I wanted to be a piano player, but the piano didn't like me. My father played guitar, so I just started strumming on his. He's right-handed and I'm left-handed, so I had to play it upside-down.

GW: What was your first guitar?
Omar: I actually started out on bass. My father suggested it, because bass is the heartbeat of music, and once I learned how to play it, I could learn to play anything else. Around 13 or 14, I got bored with the bass, and my friend gave me some cheap ugly, red guitar. I tried to flip the strings around, but it would never tune.

GW: What was the first song you learned?
Omar: It was a Misfits song. Paul [Hinojos], who's in the band now, introduced me to the concept of learning other people's songs. He and I just started playing together around the age of 12 and I had started my own group. At the time, I was writing my own songs but didn't realize they were mine. I thought because I heard them in my head that they were pieces of music that already existed.

GW: Do you recall your first gig?
Omar: I had just turned 13. It was with Paul and some punk rock band we had started. We played at somebody's house during the day. Our set was half originals and half covers we'd learned from other punk rock bands.

GW: Ever had a nightmare gig or embarrassing onstage moment?
Omar: Oh, are you kidding? Tons of 'em, though i can't think of even one right now. I can just remember the feeling of wanting the goddamn thing to end.

GW: What's your favorite piece of gear?
Omar: My four Echoplexes. Anything that can distort what I'm doing.

GW: Do you have any advice for young players?
Omar: Follow whatever feels right for you. Don't listen to anyone who tells you different.

Web  Top
CAT_IMG Posted on 1/11/2007, 00:12

Hand over hand over hand

Group:
Administrator

ottima intervista a Omar risalente al 2005, parla di suoi gusti, del rapporto con Cedric, dell'amicizia con Frusciante, degli Sparta

http://www.stodola.pl/klub/index_en.php?news=122

CITAZIONE
AN INTERVIEW with Omar Rodriguez, the Mars Volta leader!

"Nothing is really decided when you’re making art, music or whatever. I mean when you’re making something real and it comes from your soul you don’t really decide on things. Just like you don’t decide to fall in love."

The conversation with Omar Rodriguez, the Maes Volta leader, one hour before the show in Stodola turned out to be very inspiring...

I read some interviews and you said couple of times that you love Poland. My question is – why?

I don’t know. Loving something is intangible. Like I love my girlfriend but I’m not sure why I do. It’s just a feeling. I know that when I’m here it feels really great.

So it wasn’t just a thing to say to a Polish journalist?

No, please! I am opposite of that. I wouldn’t say something like that. It’s a very common and boring thing for bands to do when they go “oh, I love this! Oh, I love you!” You know it’s like filling the blank. A part of it must be that one of my favourite filmmakers is Kieslowski, and Kieslowski was from Poland and I like Roman Polanski also but more than anything it’s that we played here few times and it has always struck me. It’s always strong.

I’ve heard about the concert that you played few years ago with At Drive-In in Wroclaw for 40-50 people and it was really amazing. All those 50 people that were there bought the record straight away and they still talk about it. Actually now more that 50 people claim they’ve seen the concert  Do you remember that performance as a special moment?

Yes, but again, I remember every concert here in Poland as a special thing. Not a lot of bands that I know come all the way to Poland to play or to Croatia, Slovenia, etc. And we were here with At Drive-in and with another band called Perfecto and now we’re here with Mars Volta and each time sticks out.

And your favourite film by Kieslowski?

Without a doubt it would be the “Short film about killing”

Do you know any other Polish artists: authors, musicians, etc?

Not that I can think of from the top of my head. Of course Polanski. He’s great. A lot of people think he’s French for some reason.

I guess because he lives there.

Yes, and he’s also so popular because he went to America and he decided to make the American-type films.

I wanted to ask you about Red Hot Chilli Peppers. You went on tour with them and John (Frusciante) and Flea played on your first album. How did it come to this?

We just became friends through music.

But they’re not like people you meet on the street everyday…

For me it’s much a lot like what happened. It was much like meeting them on the street or a concert and than you start talking about music. I’ve never been a fan of the band. The fact is that when I first met John I didn’t realize that he was in the RHCP. I never listened to them before. So I’ve met him and it was pretty much like two artists, two musicians meeting each other. We met at a concert. We were both watching a band and than John came over to me and he goes “do you like this film? Do you like this book?” and I said “of course and I like this and I like that”. First we started talking about films than we got into books and then into music

So sounds like a casual friendly meeting…

It’s exactly what it was. It’s a way that you meet people. I never thought of it like “oh! I wanna meet the guy from Chilli!” or something. That’s why it’s really strange when people go: “How was it to work with them?” or “How did you get them to play on your record?” People assume that we offered them money or something and it was just organic and we became very very close friends. John from the very beginning was the very huge fan of the Mars Volta and he always talks about it so he helped in that way.

The Mars Volta new album “Frances the Mute” - I was thinking about the title song. Because there is a song called “Frances the Mute” like the record but it’s not on the album. There are the lyrics though. Is there any special edition with this song or something like that? Where can we hear it?

You can get it on vinyl. It’s a single on vinyl and I think soon it will be on the cd also. It’s kind of confusing because the album is called “Frances the Mute” but it doesn’t have the song on it and there’s an actual record that says just The Mars Volta – “Frances the Mute” and that’s the only song on the single.

The album is very, I’d say, different. There are “only” 5 songs on it but it lasts 75 minutes so that’s pretty unusual. Was it a decision that you want to do it that way or it just happened in the studio?

Nothing is really decided when you’re making art, music or whatever. I mean when you’re making something real and it comes from your soul you don’t really decide on things. Just like you don’t decide to fall in love. Making music is the same way. You follow your heart and things start to happen. Things start to unfold and manifest themselves and the universe comes to your aid and things just happen. The songs on “Frances” are long because that’s the way they came out and it takes a long time to say what we’re trying to say. Like right now in this interview I could easily answer to most of your questions by saying “yes”, “no” or “I think so” but I just feel the need to express myself now. I wanna give an answer that makes me feel like I’m coming across with my ideas and it’s the same thing with making music. Music is just an extinction of our personalities.

And the same thing with the concert tonight, right? Noone knows what will happen in an hour.

That’s right. It can go any direction. It’s just like a conversation. It’s something people don’t understand sometimes. For some bands – pop bands – it’s not a conversation. It’s very much just a planned thing.

Just a technical show…

Yes, it’s just a show where they go out and say “Oh good evening Poland! Good evening Germany!” and it’s the same thing everyday. For us every night is different. Even though we play the same songs. We have lots o improvisation. We’re a group of 8 people traveling around and we go on stage for two hours and we have a conversation. So some nights our conversation isn’t so good and it’s kind of broken up and not fitting and other nights we have a fit conversation. It’s just human dynamics.

What about your relations with Cedric. Because, you know, when there’s 2 people and such strong personalities spending so much time together, working and traveling together as you do I’d assume it must be difficult sometimes.

For us it’s not. We do argue sometimes but arguing for us is not something dramatic. I think people sometimes make it like “Oh my God!” and make tension when for us both an argument or a problem means only a new solution that you wouldn’t have thought about on your own. If life was without any arguments or problems you would never have any perspective and new form of thinking, you would never evolve. So we welcome these things and see them only as opportunities for us to learn something new about each other. And particularly we just happen to have some strange relationship that neither he or I try to question or analyze or intellectualize. We just let it be what it is because it’s so powerful and so beautiful and so strong and so organic that we don’t want to ruin it by asking too many questions about it. It was like love from the first sight. We’ve met when we were 12 or 13 and then we’ve been living together for 11 years and have been on a road together for even longer and playing music together for about 13 years.

I guess that’s what is special about the Mars Volta because people can feel it when you’re on stage that there are the two people, the two personalities connected and they give so much to people.

Yeah, playing is our sex. We are like a couple. We’re always together and we’re always exchanging ideas and music is our way of having an intimate exchange that transcends what we experience in every day life.

Talking about friends - what do think about Sparta? (the band created by the former At the Drive In members)

They’re horrible! I find them utterly boring. But it’s just my opinion and it doesn’t mean anything. It only means I’m a very peaky person when it comes to my art and my music. It doesn’t do anything for me, it doesn’t speak to me, it doesn’t give me pictures in my head, it doesn’t make me emotional…

What does?

Many things: traditional music of Russia, the folk songs of Iran and Iraq. The films of Kieslowski, Federico Fellini or Paolo Passolini (tu accent!), the paintings of Peter Carlo, Heronimus Bash, the writings of Carlos Castanieda, the films of Max Ernst, the revolutionary thinkers, Frederic Douglas which was the first black man who thought himself to read and write. These are the things that really inspire me and just everyday life, the people around me – my family, my friends, my friendships, my enemies, my hatery, my love. Things that are strong and have no apology.
Sparta to me is like most pop groups. It sounds like someone who’s kissing ass and apologize all the time. Everything there has to be pretty. For me life is not so pretty. There’s lots of dark sides about life. I need the dark things so I know what the light is. There has to be a perfect balance. There has to be murder and has to be healing. And it’s all beautiful and it’s all connected.

Sounds like a good title for a new album – “Not so pretty”…

Yeah, it does! :)

I know you go on tour soon as a special guest of System of a Down.

System of a down are great people and we also know them for a while. They’re very fun to be around. They’re very good people. It will be just 2 months in America and I’m concentrating on recording our next record so that’s the main thing to do now.

And when is it going to be out?

I don’t know. Who knows?

the interview by Olga Tuszewska

Web  Top
Sandoz
CAT_IMG Posted on 1/11/2007, 10:30

ottimo piglio subito.

Splendini
CAT_IMG Posted on 5/3/2008, 18:21

ho letto questo sul sito portoghese a proposito di un intervista:
CITAZIONE
We're working on a new long play and I want to stress it will be our version of acoustic record.

ne abbiamo già parlato da qualche parte? se si, dove? è una cazzata?

CAT_IMG Posted on 5/3/2008, 18:32

Hand over hand over hand

Group:
Administrator

è così ma al riguardo abbiamo anche la dichiarazione di Omar nella nostra intervista. ;)

Web  Top
Walkabout
CAT_IMG Posted on 20/3/2008, 18:58

CITAZIONE
haven't translated the whole article, but everything Omar said is here.
The interview took place in Stockholm when TMV played there last month.

THE MARS VOLTA – A CHANNEL FOR CHAOS

Omar and Cedric have known each other for nearly 20 years now, and have been making music together for over ¾ of this time. Their first significant band that recorded was the much praised punkrock group At The Drive-In. Do you think you could have skipped that experience and started making more challenging music already in the mid 90s Texas?
- That’s a good question. Hmmm… Music, I mean composing and performing, can only really be learnt by composing and performing. So maybe we couldn’t have done this back then. Something like The Mars Volta could’ve been created with the musicians we played with before ATDI. El Paso is such a small place that you can’t find that many interesting musicians you can say to: “ Listen, let’s go play somewhere else for a change. I don’t know whether we’ll get paid or where we’ll stay. We’ll probably starve and sleep at the back of a van. And don’t expect anyone to turn up to see us because nobody knows anything about us.” We got lucky when we found three guys who thought that was ok. And that’s how ATDI got started. But then we were stuck with them. I and Cedric had to turn our backs to musicianship in order to find band mates with whom we could get out of El Paso.
Omar thinks that the situation would’ve been different if he and Cedric had been born in Los Angeles, San Francisco or New York. He thinks that in a way what happened before ATDI culminates in TMV.
- Before ATDI we played with musicians who were a lot more advanced than us, but they had other stuff going on. They taught in the local schools, played gigs locally etc. Nowadays I and Cedric are often being asked whether we’ll ever write pop songs. Most people don’t understand that we’ve been making music together for such a long time. We’ve made pop, noise, structurally very tight music, dub, everything. We were combining jazz and salsa a long time ago. When you’re young you want to explore everything, but you get bored. First you write those three chord love songs and then you start thinking, what next. And now all of that is channelled through TMV.
Diligence is very characteristic of Omar.
- The live dvd as well as the documentary dvd are nearly finished. At least I hope so. I edit the documentary every month so that the pile of raw material won’t grow too high. I have eleven music projects from the last couple of years, and they need mixing. If I don’t do that soon I’ll never finish them.
…..
After the sound check is finished, Omar’s brother Marcel decides to take off his silly blonde wig. Two airsoft guns that look like Uzis turn up and soon a relentless chase round the back of the stage is taking place. Omar is shooting at Paul who is chasing Adrian. What we have is two old ATDI members shooting at each other. Ikey is preoccupied with his mobile phone looking absent minded, Juan is shaking his head and sneaks upstairs where the dressing rooms are. The chaos dissolves for a moment when the main men are being photographed by Sweden Rock Magazine. The situation is relatively serious, but when someone quips that they could hold hands the dominos start falling. Joking starts.
- But we’re not dating anymore, Cedric whines and pretends to be crying. – Omar turned his back on our love because the band supposedly means so much to him.
…….
It’s been vital to TMV to have been able to support classy bands on tour. Especially RHCP seems to have taken a godfather-like attitude toward the band: when De-loused was being recorded with Rick Rubin in California 2002-2003 and there was no bass player in the band, Flea rushed to help. Also guitarist John Frusciante has been a guest in the studio and on stage several times.
- When we met, I hadn’t really been listening to the band and I didn’t know them as people at all. Obviously I was flattered when they invited us to tour with them in 2003. It was a great experience, because for a megaband they are a special gang of people. We’ve become great friends, especially with John. I learnt a lot from him.. I wouldn’t want to use the word theory because I still don’t really understand anything about it… but let’s say… about the round things along the guitar neck. John has been trying to teach me theory, but apparently my mind isn’t big enough to picture it. So he has come up with ways to tell me about things in simpler ways and I’ve been able to get a hunch. We also jam together a lot.
In addition to their love of music, Omar & co. also had other thing is common with members of RHCP.
- We were able to identify with each other on many levels. Like us, they started from the bottom, they lost a good friend and a band member to drugs like we did. It also turned out that we like the same books and... by the way, this is very relevant. There’s nothing more tiresome than to be on the road with a band whose members talk only about music all the time. I can’t stand people like that, and that’s why we’re touring by ourselves right now. I’m perplexed by musicians who are not also interested in literature, architecture, arts, movies etc. To be honest, most rock musicians are a bit dumb. Like it’s inbuilt in this culture that you can only be interested in a limited area of music and sex and drugs. And note the order of things in that saying. Sex and drugs and rock’n’roll. Music comes last! I’m so sick of that.
So which is his favourite god, Apollo representing rationality or Dionysus representing drunken ecstasy?
- Definitely Apollo, I’m definitely on the side of rationality. But… on the other hand, also on the side of the body. After all, your mind can’t function properly if your body isn’t well.
Omar moved to Amsterdam more than two years ago. Amsterdam seems like a strange location for a man who has a history with drugs.
- Not at all. I had already quit drugs back in 2002 when we started recording De-loused. I haven’t touched them since.
He now lives in Brooklyn, New York but found inspiration in Amsterdam and ended up composing and recording lots of material there. Just the stuff we were talking about in the beginning and that has been released under Omar Rodriguez-Lopez Quinted or Group.
- It’s difficult to analyze what different places mean to my work now, but I think in years to come I’ll be able to better realize certain things and connections. I’ve already noticed certain superficial stuff: I know I’m nowadays quite competent in recording things in a limited amount of time and with restricted equipment. This is the result of having been working in so many different studios. I can get the best out of every situation and turn a difficult starting point into something positive. This is a good skill to have. There are many musicians in the world who spend far too much time complaining. They show up and start complaining how “the last place was nicer, here there’s only this and that many compressors and this and that microphone.” Wherever I go I see beauty and different opportunities. I haven’t always been like this. The way I see it now is that I can go to any studio in the world and record something that will last.
Amsterdam was a culture shock although Omar assumes that due to his puertorican background he felt at home from the start.
- The quality of life in Europe is much better than anywhere else in the world. And that covers everything from the structure of society to how people treat each other. When I first went to a grocery store in Amsterdam, I noticed that people only bought what they needed. I still had the typical American hoarding mentality turned on. “A dozen of those, five gallons of that”. Letting go of the tradition of consuming was a healthy thing to do. Another little thing was that everyone brought their own shopping bag. I soon started to do that too and I begun to wonder how stupid it is to waste paper, or even worse, plastic every time you shop. So I always take my own bag with me even though I live in New York. I think it’s great that in Europe people actively take part in things and making decisions. They want the freedom to decide on certain things that have got to do with them, but they are also ready to take part of the responsibility. This is completely strange for Americans. They want more privileges but they don’t want to take responsibility for anything.
The thought of moving permanently to Europe is not something Omar denies. Actually it already almost happened once.
- I might be living in Amsterdam right now if I had found a good place for a studio. The problem was that as a foreigner I wasn’t able to rent big enough space. I should have bought property, that is, to invest in the Netherlands. And I couldn’t afford to.
There’s space in Scandinavia unlike the more densely populated countries in Europe.
- Too cold! I could move here if it was a bit warmer. It was almost too cold in Amsterdam. If I was to move to Europe I’d have to go to Spain or thereabouts. I’m a warm-blooded puertorican.
…….
Omar says that the next two TMV albums are coming along nicely.
- I’m the type of person who needs many overlapping things in order to function. If I’m working on a single project things don’t progress or stay in the perspective. I also get bored very quickly. There are days when I go to the studio and I just can’t be bothered to work on the same song that I didn’t finish the last time. So it’s great to have other music or film projects as well. This is very efficient too. A couple of hours doing something and then a couple hours doing something else. That’s how you stay fresh. That kind of working method suits me because it’s important for me to experience not only the feeling of progress but also a certain “holy shit, this thing could start falling down in any direction any moment” –thought.
Chaos is a thing Omar says he could talk about for a long time. Maybe because the situation described is very essential in his creative work.
- My friends have always called me a magnet for chaos. But other people as well have been talking about this. When I went to see an astrologist and a tarot card reader they said the same thing. Apparently I’m channelling chaos. I thought that sounded good. So the chaos comes to me, not the other way round.
TMV as a group and Omar as an individual have accomplished a lot in a few years. Omar sees things a bit differently.
- You have to remember that when I broke up ATDI, I and Cedric made lots of enemies. The other members of the band said we’d never accomplish anything without them. Back then we also were junkies. Jeremy died suddenly in 2003 and there were money problems. Personally, I’ve gone bankrupt three times. It may seem from the outside that a lot of things have happened in five years. The way I see it, is that the seven years with ATDI also need to be taken into account. The way we saw it back then was that we carry on but we change certain players. And the name. And actually the style of music as well. People thought we were completely bonkers. Everyone thought that it would be easier to carry on with the old name. I guess so. Of course I could still be playing One Armed Scissor. Even that would be easier. But what if we’re not interested in “easier”? What if I and Cedric want to feel that we’ve accomplished something just by ourselves. Everyone else wants pittances. We don’t.
TMV has always been different. The band records for the biggest record company in the world but the music is not commercial. Does Omar ever think that he’s about to wake up soon?
- Hahaha! Yeah. A little bit differently though – due to my background. Just a couple of days ago I was saying to Cedric, what if I wake up and I’m at home on the couch on my way to ATDI rehearsal, with drool dripping out of my mouth and a crack pipe fallen in my lap from my hand! Sure this is strange. I have no idea how things can work so well. However, I try not to think about that too much. It’s a bit like falling in love. You don’t want to break that feeling into components. If you fall in love, the man will first cross that river and then travel on to the neighbouring country, if the girl is so lovely.

dal comatorio, divertente.

Stephen Dedalus
CAT_IMG Posted on 21/3/2008, 15:52

CITAZIONE
Just a couple of days ago I was saying to Cedric, what if I wake up and I’m at home on the couch on my way to ATDI rehearsal, with drool dripping out of my mouth and a crack pipe fallen in my lap from my hand!

:lol: :ph34r: :P

CAT_IMG Posted on 29/5/2008, 02:09

Hand over hand over hand

Group:
Administrator

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/inde...t-guitar-songs/

CITAZIONE
91 "Drunkship of Lanterns"
The Mars Volta (2003)

The Mars Volta brought prog rock into the 21st century with this thrilling blast, and Omar Rodriguez Lopez announced himself as one of this decade's great young axmen, mixing Gang of Four riffs with Hendrix virtuosity, Latin rhythms and gallons of reverb.

CITAZIONE
You were born in Puerto Rico and originally wanted to be a salsa pianist. Where is the connection between the extreme prog metal you write and play on guitar for the Mars Volta and the salsa and traditional Hispanic music you heard as a boy?
A lot of what I play is in minor keys, so it has the feel of our folk songs. Chords that sound good to me always take me back to my childhood. "Asilos Magdalena," on [2006's] Amputechture, started as an exercise. My dad played guitar with the thumb and first finger on his picking hand. I wanted to play like that and turned it into a song.

Music is a big aspect of Puerto Rican culture. At family get-togethers, everything revolves around improvising songs, singing about whatever is happening in the room. My father was a medic in the Navy, studying to be a psychiatrist, but he had his own salsa band with my godfathers and uncles, and he took me to practices.

What did you learn?
When I would get sad because it wasn't working out with me and the piano, my father and uncles told me, "Learn about the conga. Once you know the conga, then you can play the bass. Once you know those things, you can play anything. This is the earth, the roots." When I played with my father, it was always rhythm things, exercises. Talk about late blooming — I couldn't stand Led Zeppelin at the time. But I thought John Bonham and John Paul Jones were amazing. I used to wish I could get those records without the singing or guitar-playing.

Where is the salsa in the staccato time signatures and distortion of the Mars Volta?
It's the choice of notes and grooves. But a lot of the grooves are sped up so much that they are unrecognizable. The best example on [2005's] Frances the Mute is the choruses in "L'Via L'Viaquez." But when you speed them up and add distortion and delay, it sounds like another thing.

You are often compared to John McLaughlin and King Crimson's Robert Fripp. What was their influence on you?
They made me feel "I can do that," which is funny, because they are the opposite of how I approached the instrument. They are technically proficient. They know exactly what they're doing. When I first tried to play solos, I didn't know scales. I made up my own. It was about what sounded nice to me, the dissonance of it. But when I heard those guys, I thought, "They're doing it. It sounds good. That means I can do it too." I heard Black Flag at 12 years old and King Crimson at 16. They were huge milestones for me in the way I understood English-speaking rock music.

Was Jimi Hendrix an inspiration? The suites and atmospheres on "Frances the Mute" remind me of his guitar orchestrations on "Electric Ladyland."
That's my favorite stuff, the textural things. A lot of the long segues, the intros and outros in my songs, are written separately. Sometimes I'm in the mood for meditation music, things that take a long time to unfold. Then I realize they are in the same key as another song I'm writing and are begging to be put together.

0 Before the Mars Volta, you were in At the Drive-In, a two-guitar band. What was your half of that sound?
I would describe it as warfare. I hated the guitar at that point. My thing was to make it sound like anything but a guitar in the choice of notes and effects pedals. I took it as my job to pervert the songs as much as possible, to give them a bit of character.

How would you describe your tone in the Mars Volta?
Anything that is hurtful to the ear. It's been a running joke with engineers since the first album. I go, "We need more of this. We need that effect pedal." They go, "Well, it's completely fucking obnoxious now." That's my tone. There is something beautiful in anything intense and hard-going. The rewards are always greater.

You use dozens of effects pedals. What are good examples of how you use them?
I love the sound of delay pedals, particularly the Memory Man, because it has vibrato with the delay. It's two effects in one, the way the note wavers in and out. It sounds like an old lady speaking. At the beginning of "Roulette Dares (The Haunt of)" [on 2003's De-Loused in the Comatorium], the guitar has a frequency analyzer on it. It goes from this warm, sweeping sound to the high-pitched registers. It feels like your eardrums are about to break.

But you can also play simple, beautiful things like "Tourniquet Man" on the new Mars Volta album, "The Bedlam in Goliath." I'm surprised when I can play nice. I'm surprised even more when I keep it. I am such a child in that way. If I hear my engineer say, "Wow, I really like that," I go, "Really? Let's put that ring modulator on it. Now turn it backward. How do you like it now?"

[From Issue 1054 — June 12, 2008]

qui Omar Rodriguez Lopez The Essential Album Guide

Edited by Kitt - 3/6/2009, 22:31

Web  Top
CAT_IMG Posted on 19/8/2008, 13:44

Hand over hand over hand

Group:
Administrator

una grande intervista a Omàr da leggere: qui la versione originale in spagnolo e qui sotto la traduzione (grazie a D-i-a-n-a) in inglese:

CITAZIONE
VOLTA IN THE WORLD

The last March, the guitarist of this great American band was 'united' with the new star of Mexican music. Omar Rodríguez-López from The Mars Volta and Ximena Sariñana, successful actress have finally reunited in Buenos Aires. And "NO" has interviewed them exclusively.

Behind the mythic bar on the Rodney street, a romance is happening. It's one of those touching encounters that breaks frontiers and builds hopes. Considering the latin origin of its actors, the plot could be close to turning into a soap opera of Corín Tellado. But in reality it symbolises a modern romance that prevails itineraries and distance to materialize the image of the permanent encounter. The heart of Cacharita, between Otero street and Jorge Newbery avenue, shelters the privacy of two pop stars (ehm... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mellow.gif) ) The last March, hazard put the guitar player of one of the most sensational American rock bands together with the new star of Mexican music. Omar Rodríguez-López, head of the The Mars Volta group, and Ximena Sariñana, actress converted into a glaring musical success in her country, could finally be reunited in Buenos Aires to cultivate their idyll, after a failed plan of synchronizing in Australia when the group, also led by singer Cedric Bixler-Zavala, was touring the country.

"The story is like a movie", admits Omar exclusively to "NO". "I met Ximena during a flight, I had no idea she was an actress or a singer. She asked me for the meaning of a word in an English book she was reading, I told her I didn't know what it meant and continued reading mine. Later we met again at the immigration office in the Los Angeles airport. It was a flight that was coming from Guadalajara, and there we noticed a Coca-Cola Zero Fest poster. She told me she was going to play there, and she invited me too. Although I don't get out or have a social life, I don't know why but I felt like having a break that day and went to see her show. Although the show was sold out, I stayed outside waiting because I felt something might happen. Shortly after, her manager came out and got me in. Her concert was much more intimate than usual because she hadn't brought all of her band, and her voice was incredible. Despite my shyness with women and people in general, after her show we talked all night. And that's where the story began.

Barely started in July, the Winter has sentenced it to a cold and dark period. Shrouded in a silence occasionally interrupted by the industrial echo of the nearby factories and by the ghostly horn of some train heading West, the place showed a desolate portrait of parked sad cars, naked trees, the grayest concrete in the world and in the back, the tall white wall of the Cacharita cemetery. On the hill at 300, a noisy electric engine placed on the right, tightens some cables that lead into a somber house with yellow windows. Not even if they tried, Omar and Ximena wouldn't have been able to work out a more perfect place for the unknown than this one. However, they did not choose it. They were brought to this place by an MTV team, where she would shoot some promos: the reason for her stay of four days in the Argentinian capital. The scenography varies from the warmth of a home to a street snowing with styrofoam. While she is working, the guitar player of The Mars Volta, Tweety González - producer of Sariñana's debut album - and the production team watch her acting quietly.

After hearing the "cut" snap, Ximena takes the opportunity to spoil her guy for a minute. This moment lasts an eternity for them, as if they were portraying their own version of the Matrix time freeze, while the make-up artists, cameramen and assistants quickly change the set. When the girlfriend enters the set again, Omar stands up to greet the people. Tweety introduces him. His look has more in common with the one imortalized by the salsa figure, Héctor Lavoe, at the peak of the '70s - a jacket with a wide lapel and burgundy pants, black shirt and, in addition to that, shoes that are not too different from an Argentinian espadrille - than with the one of a modern music warrior. In fact, if there's one thing in common between the salsa man and the 32 years old rocker, that is their origin: they are both Puerto Ricans.

They ask for silence, and drop their Puerto Rican intonation, alhtough its generosity and patience starts shining. He suggests going to the upper floor and on the way he remembers the concert his band held in 2004 in Buenos Aires at the Personal Fest. "The show was awesome. That time Jon Frusciante had come with us, and he joined us for the last song. I thought we'd return the following year, but we didn't. That experience felt like a vacation, especially because we had come there to mix Frances the Mute".

Rodríguez-López took a break from the tour that keeps him busy nowadays to meet with Ximena. During this tour the band is presenting The Mars Volta's most recent album, the emotional The Bedlam in Goliath (2008), a conceptual work, just like their albums De-Loused in the Comatorium (2003) and Frances the Mute (2005), which revolves around an ouija board. "The result was a weird story about three people and about the way religion treats women. For Cedric, the ouija was an important influence, he used expressions indicated by it for titles and content of the songs. Although I had composed the music for the songs when we were recording Amputechture (2006), our previous album - which he lists as their most special one -, for him, this was the main inspiration."
A story that emerges from the gift Omar brought for his band mate. "I was on vacation for ten days in Palestina and Jerusalem. In that trip I bought an ouija board as a present for Cedric. I thought it was an antique that would look good in his collection. You can't find such a thing in the States; it exists, but more like a toy. I never thought he'd want to use it. He brought it during our first Amputechture tour. He wanted to use it and I thought it was great. Some people say that when you use it, everything comes from your subconscious, although others think that what is happening is real."

Imagination or not, after having started to play with the ouija, a series of weird events surrounded the recording of The Bedlam in Goliath. "We had bad luck after we used the ouija. I don't know if I made it up or if it was real. From then on, making the album was karmic in terms of production, the tracks started to disappear. Moreover, my technician, with whom I'd worked for four years and made 23 albums, all of a sudden told me he realized that I was trying to sicken the people with my music. He grabbed the recordings and took them to his house. I had to send people to take it back from him. The whole album turned into a madness. When they brought the recordings back, he had started to erase the songs. He had erased until the mix, and at that moment I thought all of this had something to do with the ouija. But it was sheer bad luck.

After having been labeled by Omar as an obscure and negative production, now he thinks of it as a positive achievement. "During those times I didn't want to speak about it, I didn't want to play it, nor doing interviews. All of a sudden, I had a new perspective. The fact that I had overcome this, that I finished what I started gave me a very positive feeling. Now I love it. I entered in craziness and got out the other way. It's like my special child.

But superstition is a common aspect in latin culture.

Totally. In some interviews for Mexico and Chile, we tried not to talk about the ouija. Nevertheless, the journalists who knew the story were questioning us and asking us whether we were coming from the Caribbean and if we knew the santero culture, because we had to do with it. It was different in Europe. I remember we were telling the story in Germany and they didn't believe us.

You're from Bayamón and you grew up in El Paso, a North American city influenced by Mexico. Wasn't it a torment having to live with three cultures at the same time?

Bayamón and El Paso are my roots. When people talk about Puerto Rico, all they know is salsa and now reggaeton, which doesn't move me nor I understand it much. But I have a confusing identity because I'm a Puerto Rican who has lived in the States for a long time, so I'm americanized. I also have Mexican influences: the jackets, Pedro Infante, the films made by Luis Buñuel when he lived there, or Jodorowsky's work. Sometimes I feel like part of José Vasconcelos' book "The cosmic race", that says that one day everything will be mingled. Just like Blade Runner.

Just like your compatriot Carlos Alomar, you turned into a guitar reference for experimenting. Considering that your primary influences come from salsa, how did you get to rock?

Fanial All-Stars, Héctor Lavoe, Eddie Palmieri and Cheo Feliciano were my gods, while music in English felt funny to me. When I got to the United States with my family I got into skateboarding and that's how I met punk rock. It felt like it had the same fire as salsa. My father, who is a doctor, was playing in an orchestra and I used to go with him to their rehearsals. There I realized that I had to study for many years to be able to equip my band. Once I'd entered the punk world when I was 12, I instantly knew that I could do it myself. I started playing bass, I wrote songs, I created my bands and at 13 I was doing my own thing in El Paso.

In what way is punk linked with the more prog-rock or art rock approach that you have today?

Punk has its rules and a very open way of thinking that brought me to artists such as Fela Kuti. Thanks to punk I cultivated my curiosity and I realized how everything was interconnected. With The Clash I discovered reggae and dub, Bob Marley and Lee "Scratch" Perry. A things leads to another, a question turns into another one. I got to Pil via the Sex Pistols. I knew that Johnny Rotten liked Can and that's how I got into krautrock. Through Neu! I found out there was a band called King Crimson, and that was the connection to Stravinsky.

You confessed that your major musical influence is Larry Harlow, creator of Hommy, the afrocaribbean adaptation of the rock musical The Who's Tommy. You didn't only fulfill your dream of meeting him, you've even invited him to collaborate with you on Frances the Mute. Did he meet your expectations?

Meeting him was one of the best things that happened to me. His son is a fan of The Mars Volta and told me he'd give our music to him. Since talking is easy, I didn't want to get too excited with his offer. All of a sudden, Larry sent an email to our manager where he said he loved the music we made and that he heard the salsa influences in it. I replied and I asked him if he'd like to record something with us. He accepted and we went to Puerto Rico. Once we entered the studio, he asked me if the take was alright. I didn't feel like telling him to repeat it, but he insisted for me to comment on it because I was the director and I had to guide him. Even my father bought a ticket and traveled to meet him. We had such a great time...

The involvement of your father is notable...

My dad lives through my eyes. When he can, he comes to our shows with mom. He's the one collecting magazines, tickets.

Before making music your career, why did you venture around in the United States?

I felt that I didn't know myself. When I was 17 I decided to distance myself from my family, from school and from my Puerto Rican identity. Since I wanted to know who I was, I left. It was difficult for my father, because we were friends. He didn't know anything about me for a year, he even got to think that I was dead. I learned lots of things, I met people, I suffered and partied. I got into the bad kind of drugs, I lived in dirty places with rats. I didn't play music, I didn't care about anything. But one day in Baltimore, I woke up. I knew the journey wasn't over. Then I called Cedric, whom I trusted a lot and with whom I hadn't talked for months, and he sent me money to get back to El Paso. And there we started with At The Drive-In (post-hardcore band preceeding The Mars Volta).

Don't you feel like Cedric is your twin soul?

The one who thinks this thing can only happen with a woman is wrong. We don't even have to speak to understand each other. The first time we met it was like we knew each other from another place, from another life, from another moment. He's always supported me and helped me believe in myself. Our connection was so strong that when At The Drive-In started to gain success, people had started to think we were gay because we didn't only share a band, but also a home, and clothing. We were together all the time. People sometimes don't understand such strong relationships between guys.

Why is friendship a recurring theme in The Mars Volta?

Friends are mirrors, they help us understand which is our place in the world. In my case, they changed my life. Julio Venegas, to whom The Mars Volta's first album is dedicated, and Jeremy Ward, founder of the band, were a significant influence because they showed me movies, books, music and the interconnection between all of these things. Also, they taught me the limits. Their tragic deaths were consequences to drug abuse.

Last year you published Calibration, your new solo album. What are the differences between your solo work and The Mars Volta albums?

The contract we have for The Mars Volta allows us to release an album a year. Since I'm always recording, I later decide if those tunes will be a part of a band album or of they'll go into another project. At the moment I'm releasing my solo works under my label, Rodríguez–López. Now when the Universal contract ends, I'd like to release four albums a year using my label. I don't want to make other solo albums, The Mars Volta is my band. The only difference that can be found sometimes between the two are the musicians I have.

When does the madness end?

Could be in four or ten years. You never know. That's why you have to enjoy it. One of the At The Drive-In guitar players was always thinking about what was happening, and years later he told me he regretted not having had more fun while it lasted. I've always remembered that. I wanted to live the experience and when it will be over I'll accept it and I'll ask my father to lend me his collection of magazine cuts to contemplate it.

Omar about Ximena

While Omar is saying that he has pending music to hear, the albums of Luis Alberto Spinetta, Charly García, Divididos and Astor Piazzolla that Tweety González gave him, he says he plans to go back to Buenos Aires with The Mars Volta at the end of October. When he is asked about the contrast between his music and Ximena's, the Puerto Rican guitarist notes: "I respect her musically. Even though what we do is different, I like honest music. I don't care if it's experimental or pop. While she is taking a break from shooting her MTV promos, the Mexican singer joins the gathering: "Omar understands that it's soothing to find someone who understands you. He rescued his personality, his heart, his soul and his generosity to share it all with me. We try to keep our relationship as normal as possible, as much as we can. He's always traveling and so am I, but we met in a plane. Our story is written. These are the circumstances of life, and if there's the reason to do it, I don't care if he has to come to Argentina, or if I have to go wherever."

Web  Top
Walkabout
CAT_IMG Posted on 19/8/2008, 17:36

La parte della love story è raccontata con quell'aura melensa da telenovela sudamericana che ti porta le palle a livello del mare, la parte dell'ouija se la risento un'altra volta sbocco. Fortuna che omar ha la capacità di dire qualcosa di nuovo e interessante perchè le domande sono sempre, sempre le stesse.

tra l'altro bella gnugna la tipa

CAT_IMG Posted on 28/9/2008, 13:52

Hand over hand over hand

Group:
Administrator

Intervista a Cedric, le ultime righe son da brivido:
CITAZIONE
http://www.elpasotimes.com/living/ci_10572056

he Mars Volta: Band brings avant-rock back home Sunday

By Doug Pullen / El Paso Times
Article Launched: 09/27/2008 12:00:00 AM MDT

EL PASO -- Cedric Bixler Zavala said there's a good reason why The Mars Volta, the critically acclaimed and commercially successful avant-rock band he formed with fellow El Pasoan Omar Rodriguez-Lopez, was together three years before playing here.

"I think always the question I got back then was how come Mars Volta didn't play (here) sooner," he said of the band's 2001 formation after the controversial breakup of their previous group, At the Drive-In. "The reason for that is that not a lot know that when At the Drive-In broke up, unfortunately a lot of people took sides, and because we didn't live in El Paso (they moved to Long Beach, Calif.) at that time, everyone sided with the people that did live there. No one asked us what happened."
He said they parted ways over creative differences ("We were tired of the monotony of it.") and other "issues within the group," which, reportedly, ranged from chemicals to chemistry.

"A lot of people hated our guts for starting a new band. They had no idea why we did it. That's one of the negative aspects of El Paso. It can be so small. People feel like they own you," the one-time El Paso High School student said from a tour stop in Atlanta. That helped fuel TMV's creative fires, but also made them delay plans to play the hometown.

"We had no interest in going to play El Paso. Any time we did at the beginning (of ATDI), no one cared about it. Then, when we broke up, they hated us for it. Why go to a place where you're hated," he asked.

They didn't make their El Paso stage debut until March 27, 2004, at the Don Haskins Center, opening for A Perfect Circle. Armando Guerrero, who's followed them since ATDI, was there.

"You could just feel the energy and the fact that they knew they were in their hometown and how much harder they played," said Guerrero, 25, a sales manager for a Hoy Fox dealership.

That was three years, one album, two EPs and several tours after TMV was born.

"We wanted to let the music speak for itself," Bixler Zavala said. "We came back full force."

Boy, did they. They not only returned for a sold-out show a year later at the Abraham Chavez Theatre (where they perform Sunday), TMV has released four critically acclaimed studio albums, one live album and two EPs. Three of them -- 2005's "Frances the Mute," 2006's "Amputechture" and this year's "The Bedlam in Goliath" -- debuted in Billboard's Top 10 best-selling albums. Their studio albums typically sell more than 500,000 copies, impressive for a band whose complex, impressionistic songs can stretch up to a half-hour and aren't exactly radio-friendly.

Their concerts are even more intense, allowing the octet -- which includes Rodriguez-Lopez's brother Marcel on percussion; Adrian Terrazas on sax
former ATDI/Sparta guitarist Pablo Hinojos-Gonzalez; Isaiah "Ikey" Owens on keyboards; bassist Juan Alderete; and new drummer Thomas Pridgen -- to flex its experimental muscles.

"Every show is different," said Guerrero, who's going Sunday. "I'm expecting the unexpected."

Their creative self-indulgence isn't for everyone. One reviewer described the lengthy psychedelic jams on their 2005 live album, "Scabdates," as "sonic meandering which some regard as genius and others find to be a futile exercise in pretentious instrumental masturbation."

Call it what you want, the boys from the Borderland have carved out a niche. Their influences include Frank Zappa, Pink Floyd, Fugazi and Christian Death, roots that were planted when the almost sibling-like singer and the Puerto Rican-born guitarist, both high-school dropouts, met as teenagers in El Paso.
"All that stuff that seems different for the ears is what makes us feel normal," Bixler-Zavala said.

Their first two albums, 2003's "De-Loused in the Comatorium" and "Frances the Mute," are built around themes. "De-Loused" was inspired by friend, artist and fellow El Paso musician Julio Venegas, who committed suicide in 1996. "Frances" was based on a diary found by band member Jeremy Ward (cousin of Jim Ward, the former ATDI guitarist who formed Sparta and Sleepercar), who died of an overdose in 2004.

"Amputechture" was their first collection of thematically unrelated songs. "Goliath" was inspired by their bizarre experiences with a Ouija board, which Rodriguez-Lopez buried after a series of mishaps.

It's pretty heavy stuff, dense with images, made-up words, symbolism and cryptic meanings, drawing from the literary, cinematic and visual art worlds.
"For us, we throw it on the canvas and later on say, 'Yeah, that's what it meant,' " Bixler Zavala said. "All our favorite writers and directors have done the same thing. It just happens that way. We don't know how or why we're doing it."

The singer, whose voice is often compared to Rush's Geddy Lee, described his younger self as an attitudinal punk-loving kid whose parents (his father is Dennis Bixler Marquez, a professor of Chicano studies at the University of Texas at El Paso) were supportive. His aesthetic elders -- among them, artist Hal Marcus, musician Ed Ivey, promoter Mike Jennings -- opened his eyes and his ears to a bigger world.

"I realized all these different, supposed sides of the tracks, musical sides that aren't supposed to like each other, were all a farce. Whether it's Poi Dog Pondering, the Bodeans, Dylan or Christian Death. It's all the same, as long as they're pushing buttons," he said.

Those mentors taught him that the punk rock he loved "is not some costume" and the 1984 punk rock documentary he studied, "Another State of Mind," taught him "everything becomes one thing." You can hear that in the music, which incorporates jazz and Latin elements.

At 33, Bixler Zavala sounds as musically restless and opinionated as ever, but at peace with what his bands have been able to do.
"I don't think ATDI was going to make another interesting record. It's just me, but we did everything we could have done. I loved my time with that band. I got to see the world with that band. I grew up in that band. I wouldn't have it any other way."

It's a book he's willing to reopen. "I wouldn't be opposed to doing some sort of reunion thing with it," he said, "but only because the time is right, not for financial reasons."

se gli At The Drive-In fanno una reunion, io divento romanista.

Web  Top
104 replies since 14/1/2005, 19:09   3037 views