THE MARS VOLTA ITALIA forum: "In Thirteen Seconds"

Interviste e articoli di carattere generale, sui TMV, ovviamente!

« Older   Newer »
Kitt
CAT_IMG Posted on 26/7/2007, 19:33 by: Kitt

Hand over hand over hand

Group:
Administrator

omar su guitar world:
CITAZIONE
GW: What inspired you to play guitar?
Omar: I wanted to be a piano player, but the piano didn't like me. My father played guitar, so I just started strumming on his. He's right-handed and I'm left-handed, so I had to play it upside-down.

GW: What was your first guitar?
Omar: I actually started out on bass. My father suggested it, because bass is the heartbeat of music, and once I learned how to play it, I could learn to play anything else. Around 13 or 14, I got bored with the bass, and my friend gave me some cheap ugly, red guitar. I tried to flip the strings around, but it would never tune.

GW: What was the first song you learned?
Omar: It was a Misfits song. Paul [Hinojos], who's in the band now, introduced me to the concept of learning other people's songs. He and I just started playing together around the age of 12 and I had started my own group. At the time, I was writing my own songs but didn't realize they were mine. I thought because I heard them in my head that they were pieces of music that already existed.

GW: Do you recall your first gig?
Omar: I had just turned 13. It was with Paul and some punk rock band we had started. We played at somebody's house during the day. Our set was half originals and half covers we'd learned from other punk rock bands.

GW: Ever had a nightmare gig or embarrassing onstage moment?
Omar: Oh, are you kidding? Tons of 'em, though i can't think of even one right now. I can just remember the feeling of wanting the goddamn thing to end.

GW: What's your favorite piece of gear?
Omar: My four Echoplexes. Anything that can distort what I'm doing.

GW: Do you have any advice for young players?
Omar: Follow whatever feels right for you. Don't listen to anyone who tells you different.

Web  Top
104 replies since 14/1/2005, 19:09   3048 views