THE MARS VOLTA ITALIA forum: "In Thirteen Seconds"

Ilyena

« Older   Newer »
CAT_IMG Posted on 18/1/2008, 13:31

'I am a Shadow and I dwell in the catacombs which border the country of illusion hard by the dim plains of wishing'

Group:

questo forse è il pezzo che più testimonia l'evoluzione del sound della band... molto atipica per i canoni della band. A prescindere dall'intro, ritmicamente parlando, le linee vocali adottate, la forma quasi "da duetto" che persiste tra la chitarra di Omar e Cedric ( il riff a 1:50 raddoppiato è un qualcosa che davvero da la carica )
quando c'è lo stacco riparte con batteria e falsetto, ha un non so che di tamarroide :D non so, mi da l'idea di contrasto "funny" su un brano che era iniziato a tinte decisamente più scure.. poi magari è un impressione..

Web  Top
CAT_IMG Posted on 22/1/2008, 02:52

Hand over hand over hand

Group:
Administrator

when the chants have cycled, how can i go wrong there will be no eve for adam, if your apples have gone, i need a brand new skin, incarnated debts, incarcerated when, the deeds are left, to purchase.
if you could see where i've been, you'd touch, the hand that's, touching sin, entity ingredient, a mass of, blackened scapes, begins.
cypher is filled with a, blanket of clots, taking everything i've got, please let me in.
I need a brand new skin, incarnated debts, incarcerated when the deeds are left to purchase.
If you could see where i've been, you'd touch the hand that's touching sin, entity ingredient a mass of blackened scapes begins
Follow me tonight
Follow me into oblivion.
If you could see where i've been, you'd touch the hand that's touching sin, entity ingredient a mass of blackened scapes begin.
I seem to hide in metal plates held together alone, don't wait hide with me, identity, until we've past due date.
Can't spot through the lens bleeding through your sanctuary, intention accident, bleeding through your sanctuary.

Web  Top
spettro_zero
CAT_IMG Posted on 22/1/2008, 08:50

kitt grazie per lyrics... io nn gli ho trovati da nessuna parte!

Splendini
CAT_IMG Posted on 26/1/2008, 13:27

ma sbaglio o nel frastuono di effetti finale si "intrasente" quel noise che c'era all'inizio di Viscera?

'X
CAT_IMG Posted on 26/1/2008, 19:11

Una delle più immediate sicuramente.
Mi piace.
Spero non mi stufi :)

Walkabout
CAT_IMG Posted on 2/2/2008, 15:37

CITAZIONE
WW: Is there an example of a song on the new album that you wanted out there on the radio and they objected?

Cedric: Yeah, there’s a song called “Ilyena” that I just thought was catchy to me, and it showcased a new sound for us. It didn’t have this obvious Led Zeppelin sound, and there’s certain bands that can just completely ape that nowadays. I wanted to show the fact that we could grow and we weren’t just some Floyd thing, some retro act. The song “Ilyena” really showcased to me what was a giant leap into future music for us. I wanted that to be on there, but it’s like six minutes, and to edit it would be to butcher the real intent of it. I thought that was the catchiest one, but what do I know.

Inked
CAT_IMG Posted on 3/2/2008, 15:56

la canzone è bella ma l'intro è quasi irritante

zeong
CAT_IMG Posted on 7/3/2008, 21:56

ho visto il video ieri sera su rocktv,mi ha molto divertito...
e cedric era molto più grasso di come è oggi..o sbaglio ?

Walkabout
CAT_IMG Posted on 17/3/2008, 10:40

Ramatheson, un utente del comatorio, si è messo ad analizzare riga per riga i pezzi dell'ultimo album. Copio/incollo, ovviamente sono da prendere con le superpinze che tutti avete in tasca quando si parla dei testi di Cedric, ma qualche spunto interessante c'è. Forse il problema di questa interpretazione (e delle altre della serie di Tamharreson) è il fatto di voler restare un po' troppo attaccati a quello che Omar e Cedric hanno rivelato sul concept, forzando i significati per trovare la quadratura del cerchio.
A voi.

CITAZIONE
Ilyena: In this song, as the last ends, Goliath decides he cannot take this. The band feels the same and cuts off contact. Unfortunately, they are inextricably connected now. Soon, the band comes back to their new addiction to speak with Goliath. The song begins as they band attempts to re-establish contact with Goliath. Musically, this is represented by static/white noise, and the voice of Goliath out of phase, but slowly coming into focus again.

Just as a warning, this song features some pretty graphic ideas and images involving sex, abortion, and bodily functions of a pregnant woman involving her genitalia.

When the chants have cycled,
How can I go wrong?

After all his chants and praying, Goliath wonders how things could have turned out this way.

There will be no Eve for Adam
If your apples have gone, gone, gone, gone

There was no perfect woman for him, no "Eve" to his "Adam." The woman he wanted with more passion than anything else could never really be his. The apple (forbidden fruit - his daughter) is gone now that she is dead.

I need a brand new skin

Goliath needs to become real again...

Incarnated debts

...but he cannot because of the debts he has created for himself. His sins can never be payed off.

Incarcerated when
The deeds are left to purchase

Goliath was imprisoned (incarcerated) when time came his to pay his debt for his actions (deeds has dual meaning an action and also a document he used to sign his eternity away with, metaphorically, by raping and killing his daughter). He has to "pay the piper" so to speak.

If you could see
Where I've been
You'd touch the hand that's touching sin

If the band could only see the terrible things Goliath has seen, by holding his hand and following him on a tour of his corrupted memory, they would be as close as one could get to possibly to touching sin itself.

Entity ingredient.

The main ingredient for the board is the Entity that is Goliath

A mass of blackened scapes begins

By studying Goliath, the band is witnessing terrible things. The band will want to escape from the evil, or black, experience. In a dual meaning, this also represents Goliath's daughter trying to escape during that terrible night. "Scape" is Middle English for "Escape."

Cypher is filled with a blanket of clots

This is probably one of the most disgusting lines in the whole album. "Cypher" is more Middle English, from the Arabic "Sifr" which means "zero" or "empty." The zero is an empty hole, and in this case it is the womb of Goliath's daughter. Her empty womb ("cypher" here) was filled with blood clots as her baby was violently ripped from her through a forced abortion.

Taking everything I've got

This is not the daughter responding. It is still Goliath. He has had all he was taken from him through his own actions. The taker of everything he's "got" is himself through his own doing.

Please let me in

He so badly wants to get "inside" her peacefully. Of course, that can't be, and so he went about drugging her.

I need a brand new skin
Incarnated debts
Incarcerated when
The deeds are left to purchase

If you could see where I've been
You'd touch the hand that's
Touching sin, entity ingredient
A mass of blackened scapes begin

See above.

Follow me tonight
Follow me into oblivion

Goliath is telling the girl to come with him into oblivion. Pretty self-explanatory. It is Goliath speaking to the memory/spirit of his daughter. Notice the slightly twisted-romantic way it is sung. It is almost a serranade of sorts. Listen to the many humming voices layered int he background as well.

If you could see where I've been
You'd touch the hand that's
Touching sin, entity ingredient
A mass of blackened scapes begin

See above.

I seem to hide in metal plates

Goliath's actions are so hard to even fathom for most, that it is as if he is hiding within some construct of "metal" as large as the earth. Think plate tectonics, not a plate you use to eat with.

Held together, alone, don't wait
Hide with me, identity
Until we've past due date

Goliath and his daughter are held together forever, but in actuality it is just the memory of his daughter that is manifesting as an independent spirit. So...while it seems that there are two held together within the board, it is actually just one that is "alone." Goliath knows this, but won't admit it. If he admitted he was truly alone, he would become even more broken. He can't allow this, so before he realizes it, he must hurry up ("don't wait") and "hide" that other "identity" within himself. He must hide this within himself forever until he no longer exists ("past due date" like bad food that is tossed out)

Can't spot through the lens

The "lens" here is other people's eyes. These other eyes cannot be allowed to see Goliath's daughter "spot" which pregnant women often do. They often have slight spotting of blood on their undergarments during the first trimesters of pregnancy. This spotting cannot be witnessed, or allowed to pass across others' eye lenses.

Bleeding through your sanctuary

As above...a reference to her "sanctuary" (womb) spotting blood.

Intention accident

This whole horrible thing was an intentional, but Goliath wants to think that he had no choice and that it was an accident.

Bleeding through your sanctuary

See above.

spettro_zero
CAT_IMG Posted on 18/3/2008, 20:05

personalmente questa canzone e' una delle mie preferite di questo album
amazza che roba!

Sandoz
CAT_IMG Posted on 7/4/2008, 12:02

io il video l'ho visto oggi, me la sto a fà sotto dalle risate.
:lol:
SPOILER (click to view)
il pezzo che si tirano su il pennarello indelebile è priceless
lo facevo anch'io :ph34r:

Lil' Bix
CAT_IMG Posted on 21/8/2008, 20:53

...cavolo...credo che per ora sia la mia preferita *..*
...all'inizio e alla fine ci sono i suoni dell'intro di viscera eyes...che a proposito mi piace un botto anche quella...c'è anche qualche rumorino ripreso dall'inizio di "this apparatus must be unhearted" o sbaglio???

SaraKeenan
CAT_IMG Posted on 22/8/2008, 19:42

CITAZIONE (Sandoz @ 7/4/2008, 13:02)
SPOILER (click to view)
il pezzo che si tirano su il pennarello indelebile è priceless
lo facevo anch'io :ph34r:

Anche io!!! :woot:

zeong
CAT_IMG Posted on 22/8/2008, 22:09

..non esistono più i pennarelli di una volta...

34 replies since 12/12/2007, 01:29   518 views