THE MARS VOLTA ITALIA forum: "In Thirteen Seconds"

Goliath

« Older   Newer »
zeong
CAT_IMG Posted on 17/2/2008, 23:47

strano però...quando era "Rapid fire tollbooth" non ci somigliava cosi tanto a "schizoid man"...

Walkabout
CAT_IMG Posted on 13/3/2008, 19:21

Ramatheson, un utente del comatorio, si è messo ad analizzare riga per riga i pezzi dell'ultimo album. Copio/incollo, ovviamente sono da prendere con le superpinze che tutti avete in tasca quando si parla dei testi di Cedric, ma qualche spunto interessante c'è. Forse il problema di questa interpretazione (e delle altre della serie di Tamharreson) è il fatto di voler restare un po' troppo attaccati a quello che Omar e Cedric hanno rivelato sul concept, forzando i significati per trovare la quadratura del cerchio.
A voi.

CITAZIONE
Goliath: Finally, Goliath's fragmented memories are accesses to at a new level and from that, the spirit of his daughter rises up to speak.

That night I remember
What you slipped in my glass

She remembers that night, when Goliath drugged her in order to have his way with her.

We came rewinding when

They "came" literally. The rewinding part is a reference to the penis/vagina coming together that makes a child. These two are connecting in a way that "rewinds" time in a way to how they first me, when Goliath impregnated the girl's mother.

I foamed at the mouth

She is drugged, drooling, foaming at the mouth.

While the lights winked at me

She was staring up at the sky, and sees the stars.

And now my shape is kept

Now, she has become pregnant, and will not lose her shape because the baby will be aborted. She doesn't take the child to term, and thus, keeps her shape.

The rain it can't hide

People often say "the rain will hide the tears on my face." Her pain is too great to be hidden.

Wash the pain from this hex

The curse lain on her family's life needs to be washed away

Is it so permanent

She wonders, "Is it so permanent? Can it ever be washed away?"

Did she catch a left eye
When it blinks three times

"She" is the mother here. The daughter wonders if her mother saw what happened, and just blinked it away. The "left eye" is a reference to her glancing sideways and looking away, just sort of seeing what is going on in her peripheral vision.

Or once just to seal you in

Or, did she just blink once, and not have to look again. Was one look enough to cause the mother to take action? This one look was enough to cause the mother to take action, which lead to Goliath's sins becoming known, which "sealed" him into his prison.

In your drunken breath

Goliath was drunken during the act.

Did it stain like us

The daughter and Goliath were stained by the act, obviously. Did this act stain anyone else? Of course it did. It affected everyone that touched it.

In place of poison heat

This is a metaphor. The act was like poison, held in the heat between their bodies.

Gotta rid this world of your intention
Swap the corpse in the casket

The daughter has to find a way to free the world of her father's sins. She considers murdering him. She wants to swap the corpse of her dead child (made from the rape) with the corpse of her father.

Give me that corpse please
The one that tore nightly

She wants her father to be a corpse. This body "tore" into her each night when he raped her each time. It happened more than once, the first being the one that is the main focus of the prior songs where Goliath drugged the daughter.

I really want it now

She really wants her father to be a corpse now.

Fold the arms slowly

This is a metaphor. Think of a body in a casket with its arms folded, laying in death. As the body is lain in the casket, she wants it to be placed in slowly so she can relish every moment of his being dead.

Don't want you to hold me

She doesn't want her father to hold her anymore.

It fits just like a glove

His death fits her perfectly. It is just what she wants.

Does he make you feel alright?

After Goliath made himself feel better by having his way with his daughter, the daughter now wants to know how he feels being dead. It is a sarcastic line. "How does that feel now?"

When I seep inside your truth

The daughter is the only one that is inside the truth of what happened.

Through suspicious little coughs

She let the secret out by dropping hints to people. Think of someone coughing like when they are trying to point something out during conversation, or get someone's attention.

You sank your nails inside a key
While the door you shut closed up

Goliath dug his way into her, and while he succeeded in releasing himself to his temptation, he forever closed the door on any chance of having a true, loving relationship with his daughter.

The black stockings you kept
Smell of wet cigarette

Imagery lines. The clothing smelled of acridness and corruption.

Torn of lust that you could not keep

The clothing in this image was torn apart and would never be the same. Goliath could not "keep" his lust within himself.

I have slept inside your fault

The daughter sleeps inside the "fault," or hole in the ground, where she is buried. Remember that chronology isn't quite correct all the time. The spirit/memory is confused and broken. Past memories take place in the present, and sometimes present ones seem to be ancient ones within their broken minds.

To have you keep me here on this leash

The daughter (her spirit as experienced through Goliath's fragmented memory) is, in a way, forever a prisoner in the board with Goliath.

For the rest of your pets

She is a prisoner along with the other memories/spirits. She is sort of the focal point for all the rest to revolve around.

I will feed to the theft
As we consummate the vows of defeat

By giving into Goliath's taking (theft) of her body, the daughter consummated the relationship by sleeping with him. Of course, this whole thing was self-defeating to Goliath.

And when you pray for an end to this
I do believe this is eternity

The daughter feels a sense of vengeance. No matter what happens, Goliath will be trapped with her. No matter how he prays for it to end, she thinks that he will be punished for eternity.

Give me that corpse please
The one that tore nightly
I really want it now
Fold the arms slowly
Don't want you to hold me
It fits just like a glove
Your closet is bulging
White marrow withholding
Does it make you feel alright?

See above.

The closet line is saying that Goliath's metaphorical closet is bulging with new, dark secrets. This is an allusion to the "skeletons in the closet." The girl is doing her best to stay away from the father. She is pure ("white") and "withholding" her best parts ("marrow") from her father. She fails, but tries nonetheless.

Never heard a man speak like this man before
All the days of my life ever since I've been born

She had never heard a man speak the way her father Goliath had during the acts of rape.

Watch me now

Look at her, what she has done. She feels that she will never be anonymous again.

Say it loud

She wants her father's sins to be screamed from the rooftops.

Hold your heavy burden

She holds the the weight of his sin now.

In a pocket full of drink that I've drunk

Another image. Literally, she drank the drinks that drugged her. Metaphorically, she has swallowed all of his sin.

Spit the remnants in your direction
This is the closest to any kingdom
That you will come

She holds his seed and spits it at him. All of the sin she has to carry will be spit in his face and come back to bite him. Being full of sin is the closest that Goliath will ever get to any form of spirituality from now on.

I'm starting to feel a miscarriage coming on

Goliath's daughter feels the loss of the child approaching. She knows she will never be able to keep it.

It's numbing a stump
Clearing in my throat
And i just can't lose grip of it

This is all metaphorical. No matter what she does, this feeling will always be within her. She is being ground to a "stump," becoming numb, and cannot get rid of the horrible feelings.

She fumigated my mental hygiene

Later, when confronting her mother, she was of course berated by her. In many Middle Eastern societies, the victim of the rape is often just as to blame as the raper. Her brain was filled with fumes of maliciousness from everyone, including her mother. Her mind will never feel clean again.

I'm all out of pulse

The daughter feels dead.

But I know you can resuscitate me

But she knows that there are people that can bring her back to life. One example is the band, who is reviving her through the use of the board.

All the days of my life ever since I've been born
Watch me now

See above.

spettro_zero
CAT_IMG Posted on 18/3/2008, 20:03

non male questa

CAT_IMG Posted on 29/7/2008, 10:51

Group:

Non so se ne avete già parlato, comunque ho notato una vaghissima somiglianza tra il riff di Goliath e quello di Steve's Spanking di Zappa (e Steve Vai)...

diciamo che si assomigliano parecchio nelle primissime due battute, poi si sviluppano diversamente...

Web  Top
CAT_IMG Posted on 18/12/2009, 02:37

Hand over hand over hand

Group:
Administrator

riuppo per ripetere che la Goliath con Elitch dietro le pelli nun se pò senti e per proporvi questo simpatico documentario sul massacro di Jonestown, in particolare minuto 4:32
http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?d...081816666746895

Web  Top
con_safo
CAT_IMG Posted on 27/12/2009, 15:35

minghia
sapevo che c'era una citazione, ma non pensavo fosse così "diretta"

Inno Minato
CAT_IMG Posted on 27/12/2009, 16:00

sarebbe interessante sapere come si sia documentato, o come sia venuto a conoscenza di tutto sto materiale Cedric, forse si sarà informato ai tempi di Amputecchia visto che quello doveva essere il disco contro i fanatismi di carattere religioso.

da aggiungere alle 747 domande mai fatte a Cedric.
amen.

SaraKeenan
CAT_IMG Posted on 27/12/2009, 21:44

Vero, interessante domanda!

con_safo
CAT_IMG Posted on 2/1/2010, 16:22

ma in realtà lessi/sentii che lui già era incuriosito da questa storia da tempo... e anche in amputecchia vi sono citazioni a Jonestown...

probabilmente mi sbaglio.
ma è comunque spaventoso che Cedric non abbia ripreso solo le parole del "gospel" ma abbia completamente trasportato il suddetto nella canzone.

38 replies since 22/10/2007, 15:21   496 views